Register Now
Kane99

Sports games should be free to play

I don't think this has yet been discussed, but I think all sports games, should be free to play. With the rate each studio has to drop out a new sports title every year, I just don't see why they don't instead make their sports titles free to play, and pop in microtransactions and all that nonsense. We know they're going to do it, so why not make the base game free to play? I think releasing just one game and updating it constantly would be a lot better for all people involved. What do you guys think? 

There are many factors at work here but the biggest one is the licensing. It costs EA and other companies millions of dollars just to get licensing rights to register teams into their sports franchises. I agree that upgrading the base game constantly would be less costly for both sides but lets be honest here - do you really think these greedy gaming companies want to lose out on any profit?

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There are many factors at work here but the biggest one is the licensing. It costs EA and other companies millions of dollars just to get licensing rights to register teams into their sports franchises. I agree that upgrading the base game constantly would be less costly for both sides but lets be honest here - do you really think these greedy gaming companies want to lose out on any profit?

Oh I know they won't change their ways. It's more of just a "I wish they would do this" type of topic. 😄 

40 minutes ago, skyfire said:

I don't play this sort of card that says what and which game should be free. My logic is simple if it's worth paying for I'll pay, I don't want entire genre clubbed to make it freemium or pure free. 

I'm not saying 100% free. Just free to play. These studios could then add in updated rosters, graphics and enhancements. They can charge for their special modes and for microtransactions and all that. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

I'm not saying 100% free. Just free to play. These studios could then add in updated rosters, graphics and enhancements. They can charge for their special modes and for microtransactions and all that. 

Personally, I'd rather they tone down on the microtransactions. I agree that they can charge for some of the optional game modes.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:49 PM, Kane99 said:

That could be loss for studios considering a lot of people just are happy with F2P and that means loss of money for the game studios. 

What sports games we talking regards to, Nothing can't be for free and like any games that get released that they have to make and earn their money to pay off their employees and or just make money. I do agree that some games like F1 series that comes out just about every year and it's just the same game, however, more updated version each year. It's around $50 to $60 a game. What not they make one single game at one set price then each year add a DLC that can be for free or at a low cost.

At times they only in it for making money than anything else. So, there are free sports games out there is just having to get a good game that is good for free. 

What are the free sports games out there now?

15 hours ago, Empire said:

What sports games we talking regards to, Nothing can't be for free and like any games that get released that they have to make and earn their money to pay off their employees and or just make money. I do agree that some games like F1 series that comes out just about every year and it's just the same game, however, more updated version each year. It's around $50 to $60 a game. What not they make one single game at one set price then each year add a DLC that can be for free or at a low cost.

At times they only in it for making money than anything else. So, there are free sports games out there is just having to get a good game that is good for free. 

What are the free sports games out there now?

Most of the free-to-play Sports games I knew are no longer around.

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

F2P is fine but completely free games are a bit of pain to handle and also not worth it for the efforts as well. 

As I previously stated, Sports games are a bit different in terms of licensing deals to use the athletes/teams in such a game. It costs EA millions of dollars per year to keep such contracts going so a completely free game is out of the question.

19 hours ago, skyfire said:

Yes and like olympics and FIFA, those organizations have the license to use their logo and names. so yeah free is never a chance. 

I used to think that EA could cover those fees with just the basic price of the game but I eventually discovered that it was costing them way more for these licensing fees.