Register Now
killamch89

Mature/Violent games you played as a kid

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Mortal Kombat really did create an uproar back in the day especially when it just came out. Those were some good times...

Carmageddon was banned in several countries. Or censored.

2 minutes ago, m76 said:

Carmageddon was banned in several countries. Or censored.

Seriously - I completely agree with the ban and censorship in some countries. It got so bad that it was driving lots of kids into crazy things. I can remember a day at a game house where a boy was dragged out by the mother. He never knew the mother put a tail on him because she's been suspicious of his movement and it's all cos of MK. 

The censorship and banning of games that happened in the early 90's and earlier looks unnecessarily harsh and strict today, but back then video games weren't rated. Organizations like PEGI and the ESRB didn't exist 'till the mid 90's, so you have to say uproar against violence in video games like Carmageddon and Mortal Kombat was justified. Back then, video games were regarded as toys, not as an entertainment media like they are now.

49 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - the existence of video games rating system solved the problem of video games bans and censorship now because without it, I'm very sure games would still be banned today like in the 90's. 

That's why I actually consider the formation of the ratings system to be one of the best things to ever happen to gaming. Granted, they system is not perfect, but it is something that we should be thankful for existing.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

That's why I actually consider the formation of the ratings system to be one of the best things to ever happen to gaming. Granted, they system is not perfect, but it is something that we should be thankful for existing.

Yeah, we can't really be thankful enough for the good thing that the game rating system brought to the to the table because we wouldn't know what might have become of the gaming industry without it till now. 

Ps. For the benefit of those who didn't know much about the rating system, the link article below will throw more light to it. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170125145805.htm#:~:text=The video game rating system,and profanity in each game.