Register Now
killamch89

Mature/Violent games you played as a kid

Some of us especially older gamers grew up in a time where games didn't have ratings as yet and we played some pretty violent. For instance, I grew playing the original Mortal Kombat and GTA: Liberty City among others that were incredibly violent and had extremely graphic content. I feel like this one is going to be juicy so let's hear those stories!

Mostly just games like GTA 3 and Vice City. Before it, I maybe played RE2 on the PS1. But I forget what violent video games I played back then. I'd also add the demo for Metal Gear Solid on the list, as I played that demo like crazy back in the day. 😄 

There is nothing juicy about it. We played GTA, Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Sin, Duke3D, Carmageddon, Mortal Kombat and so on, and nobody I know turned violent. In fact the most cruel and violent kids in school were always the ones with the most devout and conservative parents who kept their kids under the strictest rules not allowing them any access to movies / videogames / limiting their play time etc.

I think shielding kids from gore is a mistake. For example the games where you still kill others, but they remove blood and gore. And that makes them kid friendly according to who?  That's the worst lesson you can give to kids because it tells them killing has no consequences.

Edited by m76

On 12/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, The Blackangel said:

Mortal Kombat and Conker’s Bad Fur Day come to mind immediately for me. MK for the violence, and CBFD for the graphic content. Get the two of those mixed together in one kids mind, and it can’t get much more fucked up than that.

The outrage about Mortal Kombat back in the days was hilarious looking back...

On 12/8/2020 at 2:43 AM, Kane99 said:

Mostly just games like GTA 3 and Vice City. Before it, I maybe played RE2 on the PS1. But I forget what violent video games I played back then. I'd also add the demo for Metal Gear Solid on the list, as I played that demo like crazy back in the day. 😄 

Metal Gear Solid was a treat back in the days and you should probably try to play it someday. I'm sure you'd enjoy the full game.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:58 AM, m76 said:

There is nothing juicy about it. We played GTA, Doom, Hexen, Heretic, Sin, Duke3D, Carmageddon, Mortal Kombat and so on, and nobody I know turned violent. In fact the most cruel and violent kids in school were always the ones with the most devout and conservative parents who kept their kids under the strictest rules not allowing them any access to movies / videogames / limiting their play time etc.

I think shielding kids from gore is a mistake. For example the games where you still kill others, but they remove blood and gore. And that makes them kid friendly according to who?  That's the worst lesson you can give to kids because it tells them killing has no consequences.

You do have a valid point there - removing blood and gore and not removing violence is pretty stupid. I always found the "videogame make kids violent" argument to be absolute BS because as you said, I don't know anyone that turned violent because of violent videogames. 

I remember playing a super violent game called Manhunt as a teen. It was made by a little dev called Rockstar - you may’ve heard of ‘em, lol. It felt a bit too gratuitous for my tastes but I think I still beat the game with some friends.

Elsewhere, I remember playing the usual games other folks have mentioned - MK, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom. I also recall playing a game called Blood, which was pretty violent, and I remember friends talking about a hyper violent game called Thrill Kill. Never played it, I don’t think. But it was supposed to be one of those legendary, uber violent games that seemingly never got a proper release. 

5 hours ago, DylanC said:

I remember playing a super violent game called Manhunt as a teen. It was made by a little dev called Rockstar - you may’ve heard of ‘em, lol. It felt a bit too gratuitous for my tastes but I think I still beat the game with some friends.

Elsewhere, I remember playing the usual games other folks have mentioned - MK, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom. I also recall playing a game called Blood, which was pretty violent, and I remember friends talking about a hyper violent game called Thrill Kill. Never played it, I don’t think. But it was supposed to be one of those legendary, uber violent games that seemingly never got a proper release. 

How'd I forget Manhunt where you were on some kind of twisted gameshow and you had to survive - It was brutal! Thrill Kill was banned but I did play it in a demo. It did have a lot of gore in it admittedly but in my opinion, it was never quite as violent as MK. 

Nightmare creatures, hatred, DOOM, and a lot of other old games. i think they had a lot of violence and the psychological manipulation in the gameplay. I played them as more or less hack and slash style and didn't bothered with the scenario I played in. 

This was when I was younger and at the time I wasn't fussed or it came to be. Playing a game that I enjoy doing and your family members thinks it's way to violent to play at the time of doing it and they taken the game away. That has happened to me. Even doing GTA3 at the time back 15 years or more so ago. The game that I'm more talking about was Halo and it was a boxed edition game. Found the game two years after and taken it back lol but at the time I had HAlo on my USB drive that I played at school. Yes high school. 

End point that I haven't really had much violents games when I was a baby lol

I forgot to mention Mortal Kombat as well. I also remember playing games like Maniac Mansion (NES) & Sweet Home (NES) at a friends house one summer. I remember freaking out when playing Sweet Home especially. It was genuinely scary at times. Though, not nearly as violent as today's stuff, in Maniac Mansion, I think you can microwave a rat. 

Edited by Kane99

I've played Hatred for years. It's an outlet for me to commit as many murders and as much torture as I want. But I wouldn't have been able to play it as a kid because it wasn't even released until 2015, when I was 33.

As for Thrill Kill, it was never actually released. Demos went out, but the reception on them was so negative, that Midway decided to cut their losses and not release a fully finished version of the game. It was a decision to satisfy conservative groups that were all but picketing them.

I know some would consider the God Of War series violent or mature, but I don't know where I stand on that.

Some games I have on my Switch are Blood Breed, Agony, Infliction, and on a lesser scale Blasphemous.

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've played Hatred for years. It's an outlet for me to commit as many murders and as much torture as I want. But I wouldn't have been able to play it as a kid because it wasn't even released until 2015, when I was 33.

As for Thrill Kill, it was never actually released. Demos went out, but the reception on them was so negative, that Midway decided to cut their losses and not release a fully finished version of the game. It was a decision to satisfy conservative groups that were all but picketing them.

I know some would consider the God Of War series violent or mature, but I don't know where I stand on that.

Some games I have on my Switch are Blood Breed, Agony, Infliction, and on a lesser scale Blasphemous.

To be honest, I don't think God Of War is very violent in my opinion. It's a bit more on the mature side - we know Kratos has these violent outburst and probably stabs the enemy too many times to count but it's very tame compared to games like Mortal Kombat, The Manhunt and others. I kind of remembered Blood now that you mention but I've think I only played it once and it was for about 20 mins but never really got into the game.

I forgot to mention I played the first Man Hunt when I was fairly young, probably one of the most violent games ever. Don't know how my parents allowed me to play it, but they rarely bothered to check up on what I was playing as a kid. 

On 12/11/2020 at 11:51 PM, Family sedan said:

I started playing Twisted Metal 2 when I was 14.  As for games with adult situations, I can't think of any.

THe Twisted Metal series is the pioneer of vehicular combat.

On 12/13/2020 at 2:54 AM, Kane99 said:

I forgot to mention I played the first Man Hunt when I was fairly young, probably one of the most violent games ever. Don't know how my parents allowed me to play it, but they rarely bothered to check up on what I was playing as a kid. 

Same here. Everything from the story to the environment was an absolute horror show. Well Kane, it didn't really affect us in any way so I'd say no harm done.