Register Now
StaceyPowers

Politics in video games

6 hours ago, m76 said:

If there is anything to learn from Naziism that Wolfenstein forgets, is how dangerous mobthink and demonizing a group of people is. (in that case the jewry). I don't think for a minute that all germans were pure evil during WWII, they were just given an enemy to project all their woes onto.

And the so called anti fasists  now are doing the same thing, demonizing trump voters thinking they are all vile and evil. They are repeating the past, not learning from it, exactly because they are trying to forget that WWII  nazis weren't stupid.

You are right that we should't underestimate Nazis. But we also shouldn't hold them to such high prestige in intelligence. It takes more to see wrong and stand for human integrity than it does to follow or give in to obvious immorality. What we should not underestimate is their intentions and how far their evil can go. As far as games, most shooter games don't get in depth in stories. I don't know what kind of intelligence they should grant Nazis in games. I always see them having high tech. Should every WW2 game show scenes of the Holocaust? Should Vietnam war games depict civilians getting slaughtered? Should modern era war games depict what terrorists do to their victims? I think if a game did go into detail it would create backlash on many sides. Maybe we do need to be reminded. But I don’t think you can keep politics out of games if you stir up the hornets and bees.

As far as anti fascists go, we can agree to disagree about who are the ones repeating history. 

27 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

You are right that we should't underestimate Nazis. But we also shouldn't hold them to such high prestige in intelligence. It takes more to see wrong and stand for human integrity than it does to follow or give in to obvious immorality. What we should not underestimate is their intentions and how far their evil can go. As far as games, most shooter games don't get in depth in stories. I don't know what kind of intelligence they should grant Nazis in games. I always see them having high tech. Should every WW2 game show scenes of the Holocaust? Should Vietnam war games depict civilians getting slaughtered? Should modern era war games depict what terrorists do to their victims? I think if a game did go into detail it would create backlash on many sides. Maybe we do need to be reminded. But I don’t think you can keep politics out of games if you stir up the hornets and bees.

As far as anti fascists go, we can agree to disagree about who are the ones repeating history. 

Who said anything about depicting concentration camps? Where did you get that idea? And how would that show Nazis as more intelligent.

BTW if you were paying attention to wolfenstein the game says the nazis stole all technology from super intelligent jews, (who were hoarding it for some reason, which imo is pretty evil to do, not letting humanity benefit from technology but hiding it away)

No we can't agree to disagree, because this is too important. Do you think that all german people were pure evil? And in turn trump voters are also pure evil?

Intelligent people can believe in stupid crap as well, as long as they are indoctrinated with it enough.

Anti fasiscts are using nazi tactics, which is quite ironic. They literally become what they say they are against.

Edited by m76

4 minutes ago, m76 said:

Who said anything about depicting concentration camps? Where did you get that idea? And how would that show Nazis as more intelligent.

BTW if you were paying attention to wolfenstein the game says the nazis stole all technology from super intelligent jews, (who were hoarding it for some reason, which imo is pretty evil to do, not letting humanity benefit from technology but hiding it away)

No we can't agree to disagree, because this is too important. Do you think that all german people were pure evil? And in turn trump voters are also pure evil?

I just did agree to disagree

If you want to discuss this under politics section, then I'll be happy to discuss that topic with you.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Pure evil or not, the soldiers had a choice.

Oh it's so easy to judge people from the comfort of your home 65 years later. They had a choice all right, go with the system or commit suicide. I probably wouldn't have been able to go through with mass murder, but I'm not going to judge people for going with self preservation. And yes some probably wanted to, even enjoyed genocide, but you are literally condemning an entire people. How is that better than condemning the entirety of the jewish people? Talk about repeating history.

The past should be remembered exactly, and we should wow not to repeat it. Instead of trying to distort it as "Oh they were all stupid and evil", which brings the risk of repeating it.

31 minutes ago, m76 said:

Oh it's so easy to judge people from the comfort of your home 65 years later. They had a choice all right, go with the system or commit suicide. I probably wouldn't have been able to go through with mass murder, but I'm not going to judge people for going with self preservation. And yes some probably wanted to, even enjoyed genocide, but you are literally condemning an entire people. How is that better than condemning the entirety of the jewish people? Talk about repeating history.

The past should be remembered exactly, and we should wow not to repeat it. Instead of trying to distort it as "Oh they were all stupid and evil", which brings the risk of repeating it.

@Reality vs Adventure is right about at least one thing, this has got to a point whare you're not dicussing politics in direct relation to video games anymore. Your quite free to continue this debate, but please do either throgh pm or on the appropiate section of the forum.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

Have you served? Have you fought? I doubt it. I have. So don't give me that "from the comfort of your home" bullshit.