Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that are broken messes no one seems to talk about as such?

As someone who is a couple generations behind on a PS3, it has been kind of funny and odd to me hearing about Cyberpunk 2077 getting panned because of its buggy release. The descriptions of the bugs sound like the nonsense that I put up with every day while trying to play Skyrim (or any Bethesda game, really) on my PS3—yet Skyrim was lauded despite its many glitches, and it seems (to me) that reviewers on the whole were a bit more forgiving.

Have times changed with respect to this, with reviewers increasingly less likely to forgive glitches? What other games can you think of that are buggy as hell, but which usually are still referenced as incredible games?

It's as if people find a bone to chew on from time to time. I don't know what triggers them, anticipation perhaps. It's not that these games are significantly worse than others, it's that people have unrealistic expectations. Mass Effect Andromeda got the same treatment, and I think it was a fine game. Dragon Age inqusition was similarly broken at release yet nobody called it out, it generally was well recieved.

Or Fallout New Vegas was a broken mess as well, yet it is still adored and referenced as one of the greatest RPGs

I think one of the things that triggered this situation with Cyberpunk 2077 is the amount of outlandish promises CDPR made up to the release and how the game would be "released when ready". The media also is a contributing factor as they have wanted the game to fail before it even launched with all their fake stories and CDPR handed them the ammunition by releasing an unfinished, buggy product. The third factor is that CDPR releases great games (Cyberpunk despite all its bugs, is a great game with lots of customization in terms of playing style as well as story) without bugs so I feel like some people feel really betrayed by them (I can't disagree). If it was EA, nobody would be surprised because they always release buggy unfinished messes so the bar is set quite low for them. CDPR adheres to a higher standard so people are holding them to it.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

It's as if people find a bone to chew on from time to time. I don't know what triggers them, anticipation perhaps. It's not that these games are significantly worse than others, it's that people have unrealistic expectations. Mass Effect Andromeda got the same treatment, and I think it was a fine game. Dragon Age inqusition was similarly broken at release yet nobody called it out, it generally was well recieved.

Or Fallout New Vegas was a broken mess as well, yet it is still adored and referenced as one of the greatest RPGs

I agree with you and one of the ways CDPR could have taken advantage of this is pull a Bethesda - what do I mean by that? Let the modding community have access to things like the Creation Kit so that they can mod Cyberpunk 2077 and they'd iron out most of those bugs. Fallout 4, Oblivion, and Skyrim are primary examples of this. Without the modding community, these games would be decent at best but the modding community are the ones that made these games become as famous and revered as they are. Ironically, Dragon Age: Inquisition is also another example of this - I know it's EA but this is a similar situation. I'm not saying CDPR isn't supposed to fix the game but by giving the modding community a bit of leeway with Cyberpunk 2077, they could easily bounce back from this.

They also promised modding support for CP2077 we'll se whether that turns out to be a false promise as well. Although I don't see modding helping the game much. It's not like Skyrim or Fallout that is more focused on exploration and roaming free. CP2077 is focused on its story and nothing else. And the story is quite restrictive in my opinion.

18 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't think is has anything to do with unrealistic expectations. I think it's fair to expect a game to release in a playable state. Sure we expect big RPGs to have glitches and bugs here and there, but with CP2077, it's a whole different story. The studio literally lying about the last gen version being ready to go, when it was not. The devs knew this, and yet the leaders decided to release it. 

Bethesda is known for releasing buggy games. From Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim. All of them were often buggy. But, to my knowledge, I don't recall anything too game breaking for the time. Though I imagine there was. Mass Effect Andromeda got the same treatment because it was downgrade from previous Mass Effect games. As well, the studio was forced to rush release yet again. Which is a big problem with EA's studios. 

The key thing here, is that people are tired of getting broken games, because it's happening a lot more these days with the whole "we'll release it now, and fix it later mentality". Gamers are just tired of being lied to, and paying for broken games, etc. 

15 hours ago, m76 said:

They also promised modding support for CP2077 we'll se whether that turns out to be a false promise as well. Although I don't see modding helping the game much. It's not like Skyrim or Fallout that is more focused on exploration and roaming free. CP2077 is focused on its story and nothing else. And the story is quite restrictive in my opinion.

Don't forget to mention the save file bug for PC where if your save file size is 8mb or more, it can become corrupted and they've yet to address this. CDPR says to just stick to the main story and do very little crafting. What CDPR should have done with CDPR is following Rockstar's release strategy where they release their games on one platform first and gradually introduce it to the rest of them. That way, they would've had more time to work on the console versions and it would've been better for everyone.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Don't forget to mention the save file bug for PC where if your save file size is 8mb or more, it can become corrupted and they've yet to address this. CDPR says to just stick to the main story and do very little crafting. What CDPR should have done with CDPR is following Rockstar's release strategy where they release their games on one platform first and gradually introduce it to the rest of them. That way, they would've had more time to work on the console versions and it would've been better for everyone.

They just released a fix for the save size limit, so that's no longer an issue.

As I've mentioned in my review this should've been a PC only release initially.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, Kane99 said:

From Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim. All of them were often buggy. But, to my knowledge, I don't recall anything too game breaking for the time.

Fallout New Vegas literally breaks--as in stops functioning at all--on my PS3 every single time I play it. It works fine for a while, but as the save file grows, the world starts to crash. I still adore the game and still consider it one of the best RPGs--but it barely runs on my console.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:56 AM, m76 said:

They just released a fix for the save size limit, so that's no longer an issue.

As I've mentioned in my review this should've been a PC only release initially.

I totally agree with you there.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:24 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Fallout New Vegas literally breaks--as in stops functioning at all--on my PS3 every single time I play it. It works fine for a while, but as the save file grows, the world starts to crash. I still adore the game and still consider it one of the best RPGs--but it barely runs on my console.

Fallout New Vegas is buggy without mods and does tend to crash a lot but I still love it as well.