Register Now
Kane99

Ever use a Virtual Boy?

Has anyone here ever used the Virtual Boy? I remember seeing one at a thrift store years ago when I was a kid, but never actually picking it up. Anyway, I remember playing it a while later with a friend, and remember it being a bit painful to deal with. It really was not fun to play, the red only graphics made it annoying after a while of playing. 

What games did you guys play? I think I played the wario game that came out for it. 

Some kids I knew when I was younger had one, and I tried it out. I think I played Mario Tennis. It was a major pain in the ass to get into a position where I could hold the controller and push my face into the headset. I got a headache really quick and quit. It was that trial at the time that made me not want one back then. But if I could find one now that I could afford, I would love to have one.

On 12/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, The Blackangel said:

Some kids I knew when I was younger had one, and I tried it out. I think I played Mario Tennis. It was a major pain in the ass to get into a position where I could hold the controller and push my face into the headset. I got a headache really quick and quit. It was that trial at the time that made me not want one back then. But if I could find one now that I could afford, I would love to have one.

I think Mario Tennis was the game I saw when I saw a virtual boy at a thrift store years ago. I wish I bought it back then lol 😞 

I just had a thought, but it would be cool if Nintendo remastered all of the games on the virtual boy for the Switch, but of course, with updated graphics and actual colors haha. 

Considering how far 3D graphics and animation have come since then, I don't see how they could do it and still capture the Virtual Boy feel. There are already Mario Tennis games out there that are fully immersive 3D. We all know there are an infinite number of porting capabilities out there, and more are coming in every day. Maybe I'm just missing the point though.

It's fun, the 3D effect is surprisingly good and all the rumors of eye cancer and headaches are largely exaggerated (especially the cancer one). It's a good time, and I've played it a few times since friend of mine picked it up some years back.

Things you should know? Just make sure to get a complete piece which includes the stand and visor. It's a pain to get them separately after and the experience is best with all the pieces present. Also, there is an AC adapter that was made for it I think, so I'd consider looking for a set with it if possible.

The cancer part I think was cooked up by the video game adversaries. They claimed for years prior that video games were a strain on the eyes and caused vision issues. They also claimed that they gave kids poor motor functions and slower reflexes. Which has been proven repeatedly to be false. As for the headaches, the one I used did actually give me a headache. Not a migraine, but a headache. It affected different people different ways, the same as everything else in gaming. For example I can't play military games like Call Of Duty, due to trauma from my time in the military. I know a girl who can't play Mario games because she had a brother named Mario who got killed in a car crash. Different games for different people.