Register Now
The Blackangel

Unique Game Videos

Post your favorite unique game videos. By "unique" I mean games that appeared once, on one system, and never had a sequel. That one game was it. Games that led eventually to other ideas are fine, but they must not have their own direct sequel and must only appear once on a single system.

Hogs of War is often called "Worms with Pigs", which is not exactly the most flattering mental image, but was nonetheless an excellent turn-based tactics game with third person shooter mechanics (akin to Valkyria Chronicles). Taking the piss out of World War I & II factions and fervour, the late great Rik Mayall (The Young Ones, Drop Dead Fred) delivers all the politically incorrect dialogue with the charisma and bawdiness one comes to expect of him. It was quite difficult at times, and the AI was fairly limited meaning the obvious pattern recognition could easily be countered with a few turns, but preventing people soldering on was permadeath. Your forces could be promoted and lose their levels upon dying, replaced with fresh grunts who would put you at a severe disadvantage much later down the line.

This was my most sought after game on the Playstation One, and it taught me the swear word "ariss", much to my mum's displeasure. When I finally got a copy for my birthday, I was over the moon. Talk about pigs flying.

Since then, the video game went on to have a card and board game, and a (fan?) remaster named "Hogs of War: Reheated" is in the works. Trotters crossed for a release date soon!

Edited by Withywarlock

On 4/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, The Blackangel said:

GTA is a series available on multiple platforms, and GTA V is a sequel. Not what this thread is looking for.

I was definitely going to point that out, but maybe he didn't really understand it properly. It can happen to anyone, probably by reading too fast.