Register Now
StaceyPowers

Situations where you don’t mind not having choices in games

I have noticed many gamers are very adverse to not having choices in video games. I can imagine scenarios where that might irk me, but on the whole, I often don’t care.

Times I don’t mind not having choices:

-When playing a specific character and it is their story and decision, not mine (i.e. TLOU, BioShock Infinite).

-When choices are removed to make a point/demonstrate our limitations (i.e. in Spec Ops: The Line).

-When we wouldn't realistically be able to do or stop something for lack of information/etc. (i.e. DA 2).

Are there situations where you also don’t mind not having choices/control?

It's not really about having a choice, but forcing the player to do something specific. If you are not giving me any options why not just do it in a cutscene?

Either I'm in control or I'm not, but don't make me do things I have no say in.

Not all games are about roll play and having the player dictate the story, some game tell thier own story story and bring you along to experience it. Games like The Last of US and Metal Gear Solid some to mind as fantastic storytelling experiences that don't allow the player to shape the events.

On 4/24/2021 at 5:47 PM, The Blackangel said:

When the law comes after me for robbing a bank. If they didn't show up, it would be boring as hell. I could just walk in, knock a few people around, take all the money, and walk out. Not much of a game if you ask me.

A robbery game plot must definitely come with the law authorities coming after you and if that doesn't happen, it's not a complete game.