Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you prefer puzzles with one solution or multiple solutions?

In an episode of Let's Drown Out, I fail to recall which one, Yahtzee Crowshaw had described Hitman as 'the point-and-click adventure game for psychopaths' or some such, and that makes me think that I'd prefer all the more options. In the old point-and-click-adventure games, you could very easily end up hitting a point of no return because you missed a key item, and it's the sole means of moving forward. That wasn't a bug, it tended to be either an oversight or a malicious means of telling you to look harder in the 'pixel hunt jamboree' as Yahtzee had also described one such game (I'm fairly certain that was from the Dreamweb episode.)

Whereas in Hitman, and other such games, you have options. You can be as elaborate, destructive or sneaky as you like. You can even fail a task successfully by just going up to the poor sap and blowing their brains out if you so choose. Hitman is a fantastic case study of "creativity stems from limitations." The limitations come from the physical environment, such as the map size, cover, witnesses, hostiles and target accessibility, and not from your arsenal or a single item required to solve the puzzle. Leave that for Larian Studios, or the tabletop.

Edited by Withywarlock

On 8/21/2021 at 10:03 PM, killamch89 said:

I usually figure it out because there's always some clue lying around either that or I try to guess which actually works at times.

Seriously - high level of difficulty puzzle games would give you such clues but expect you to figure it out all by yourself. 

21 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - It's actually the frustration that comes with playing puzzle games that drove me far away from playing them. 

The puzzle, when is a part of an action game, like I have mentioned for Lara crofts Tomb raider, then obviously I will prefer playing it. But if you tell me to play only the puzzle games, then I would never go for it. 😆

57 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

The puzzle, when is a part of an action game, like I have mentioned for Lara crofts Tomb raider, then obviously I will prefer playing it. But if you tell me to play only the puzzle games, then I would never go for it. 😆

Which particular Lara Croft's Tomb Raider are you referring to? Maybe I'd check it out and see what's in it for me. 

On 9/3/2021 at 1:21 PM, Heatman said:

Seriously - high level of difficulty puzzle games would give you such clues but expect you to figure it out all by yourself. 

That's the point of the puzzle though - you're supposed to figure it out on your own and I like that. I don't want a game to be holding my hand every step of the way - there has to be some challenge.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

That's the point of the puzzle though - you're supposed to figure it out on your own and I like that. I don't want a game to be holding my hand every step of the way - there has to be some challenge.

And that's the real essence of the puzzle in between a game. I had played POP and this Tomb raider, both had some superior level of puzzles. Most of the time, I could crack them myself, but sometimes I had to take help from Google. 😆

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

If it's too complex, it's never going to be something that would frustrate from the onset and believe me frustrating games are one way ticket to migraine. 

18 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

And that's the real essence of the puzzle in between a game. I had played POP and this Tomb raider, both had some superior level of puzzles. Most of the time, I could crack them myself, but sometimes I had to take help from Google. 😆

Seriously, there are one's that you wouldn't even be able to crack no matter the level of your smartness and most times it's contributed to a lot of gamers quitting some games along the way. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, there are one's that you wouldn't even be able to crack no matter the level of your smartness and most times it's contributed to a lot of gamers quitting some games along the way. 

That had hardly happened to me that I have to drop a game midway, because the mission/puzzle was too tough to crack. Yeah, I had some tough times solving the puzzles but Google helped me all my way. 😆

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

That had hardly happened to me that I have to drop a game midway, because the mission/puzzle was too tough to crack. Yeah, I had some tough times solving the puzzles but Google helped me all my way. 😆

Yeah - It's one of the good things that comes with making use of YouTube playthrough of other gamers, it's definitely going to be very helpful for you to beat some difficult tasks. 

4 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah - It's one of the good things that comes with making use of YouTube playthrough of other gamers, it's definitely going to be very helpful for you to beat some difficult tasks. 

Those walkthrough videos really helped me many times. Not only to solve the puzzles, but to clear some tough missions too. I know, many people would hate it, but I do watch walkthroughs to get some clue of the game. 😆

3 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Those walkthrough videos really helped me many times. Not only to solve the puzzles, but to clear some tough missions too. I know, many people would hate it, but I do watch walkthroughs to get some clue of the game. 😆

As far as I'm concerned, there absolutely nothing wrong with making use of other gamers walk through to get by. I'd be open to making my own for others to make use of. 

17 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

And that's fine if that's your way of doing things, I just like the challenge...