Register Now
The Blackangel

Craigslist Stupidity

I check several sections on Craigslist every day. Well today I saw something that reinforced my decision to not have children, as I don't want to introduce anything to how shallow the gene pool has gotten. I'm hoping this is a joke, but if you look at the image below, there are 5 posts selling not games, but gaming accounts. We have discussed the legalities of this on here before, but I have never actually seen attempts to do so. At least I don't remember having seen any. I blocked out the town names for my own security and privacy, but I didn't block out anything else.

CL Stupidity.jpg

I mean, it's not as uncommon as you'd think. There are sites that facilitate this kind of transaction such as playerup.com but they go through an extreme vetting process so either side of the transaction is legit and nobody gets scammed. It's not entirely fool-proof because some people try to talk to the other party outside of the site and end up getting scammed and try to blame playerup for it when all convos should be kept on-site.

50 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I mean, it's not as uncommon as you'd think. There are sites that facilitate this kind of transaction such as playerup.com but they go through an extreme vetting process so either side of the transaction is legit and nobody gets scammed. It's not entirely fool-proof because some people try to talk to the other party outside of the site and end up getting scammed and try to blame playerup for it when all convos should be kept on-site.

Seriously, the issue of getting scammed is one of the biggest challenges most people face and fear when it comes to doing this with their games. 

3 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously, the issue of getting scammed is one of the biggest challenges most people face and fear when it comes to doing this with their games. 

I think @The Blackangel issue was the selling of accounts and I was just point out to her that the practice isn't as uncommon as she believed. It's more common than most gamers are aware. It's not permitted per the terms of service but it's not illegal. Also, you can easily create a gaming account with false info and they sell it later and the person who gets it has none of your info.

12 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I think @The Blackangel issue was the selling of accounts and I was just point out to her that the practice isn't as uncommon as she believed. It's more common than most gamers are aware. It's not permitted per the terms of service but it's not illegal. Also, you can easily create a gaming account with false info and they sell it later and the person who gets it has none of your info.

I knew it was as common as drinking water. I was just saying that I hadn't personally encountered anyone actively trying to sell their accounts. Especially on Craigslist no less. That's why I titled this thread Craigslist Stupidity.

Edited by The Blackangel

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I knew it was as common as drinking water. I was just saying that I hadn't personally encountered anyone actively trying to sell their accounts. Especially on Craigslist no less. That's why I titled this thread Craigslist Stupidity.

Seriously - There are lots of crazy people out there who are absolutely willing to do anything legal or illegal just for the sake of making a few bucks. 

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

There's one of two things going on there, either those are scams or some really desperate people on Craigslist. I agree it's stupid to sell it on Craigslist when you have way safer and better platforms to conduct such a transaction but they may have more nefarious reasons behind it.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

There's one of two things going on there, either those are scams or some really desperate people on Craigslist. I agree it's stupid to sell it on Craigslist when you have way safer and better platforms to conduct such a transaction but they may have more nefarious reasons behind it.

Yeah - There is no way to justify a shady transaction and it's exactly what it is with them trying to execute it on Craigslist. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

Seriously - There are lots of crazy people out there who are absolutely willing to do anything legal or illegal just for the sake of making a few bucks. 

Very true. At the moment, I'm desperate to come up with $10k because there's someone selling my dream car on CL, and that's their asking price.

12 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Very true. At the moment, I'm desperate to come up with $10k because there's someone selling my dream car on CL, and that's their asking price.

$10k for your dream car? Please humor me, what type of car is that we are talking about here?