Register Now
StaceyPowers

How have video games helped you with self-discovery?

I saw news today about China wanting to crack down on games that allow players too much moral choice and/or feature gender ambiguity of any nature. Clearly, China fears the power of games to help players on their journeys of self-discovery.

In what ways have video games helped you to discover yourself? Do you also think video games are a powerful medium for helping people to find themselves?

Dragon Age: Origins' assassin Zevran helped me discover my bisexuality, so yes, I believe that video games - like any other medium - can inspire someone to discover some great revelation about themselves. I've not consumed enough of different types of media, nor had that many revelations, to say what unique abilities games have over other mediums but at least I know from my personal experience that they can aid in one's self-discovery.

I learned from the Metal Gear Series to always fight for what you believe no matter what the odds. Solid Snake was a clone made of all the "inferior" genes of Big Boss but he happened to be the strongest, smartest and most impactful clone of them all.

19 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Gaming especially in soccer have made me adding some skills or feint I've never applied when I am playing soccer in reality. Every day I play, o focus on what's attainable for me in terms of skill drive. 

That sounds good - do you play professionally or just for fun?