Register Now
StaceyPowers

Liminal spaces in games

This is an interesting question because I didn't even know what liminal was. But thinking on it, is really a deep question. Game wise, I really liked the safe houses in the recent Evil Within 2 game I've played. You enter a mirror that takes you to some state of mind or realm where you can enhance abilities and weapons, and even talk to your subconscious therapist strapped to a crazy chair. Just being in that safe zone gives a feeling of relief from the evil outside. You even can drink a cup of coffee to regain health. That little perk I thought was cool. I think that counts as liminal because it really is a sort of transition state.

On a more physical transition area, I love hallways in scary games. And I love walking down streets in a creepy town. I think every time we put in a game we enter a liminal space because we are about to go through an experience. 

10 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

This is an interesting question because I didn't even know what liminal was. But thinking on it, is really a deep question. Game wise, I really liked the safe houses in the recent Evil Within 2 game I've played. You enter a mirror that takes you to some state of mind or realm where you can enhance abilities and weapons, and even talk to your subconscious therapist strapped to a crazy chair. Just being in that safe zone gives a feeling of relief from the evil outside. You even can drink a cup of coffee to regain health. That little perk I thought was cool. I think that counts as liminal because it really is a sort of transition state.

On a more physical transition area, I love hallways in scary games. And I love walking down streets in a creepy town. I think every time we put in a game we enter a liminal space because we are about to go through an experience. 

You definitely picked up fast on the concept! Those are excellent examples.

13 hours ago, Boblee said:

What's your favorite game that offered the best liminal spaces that you have played so far this year? 

It's hard to think of specifics--I don't think I have anything as cool as @Reality vs Adventure's reply. But maybe standing at the docks at the Citadel in Mass Effect 3, looking out the window at the Normandy.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, Boblee said:

Portal itself offers more Liminal spaces than it can be explained, when it can pull you to a whole different dimension that's new to your existence. 

Agree and still I'm so bad at the game series 😛 I wish they made more though as it was a very good thinking game, like a good Puzzle.

Playing my open world, I look out beyond. I see the rivers, hills, ocean, mountains, valleys, roads...I can go anywhere I want. I am staring at all the opportunities. No matter what path I take, it will lead to a different unique experience. No path is the same. Having that freedom is very beyond me in life. To have those choices is something most don't have. To have those choices can be overwhelming. Freedom. I want to stick to roads where things were meant to be. But drift and break away from conformity. Travel up the hill to get a view. Go wherever you want. Walk the path, ride the path, and see things as the game wanted you to see. In that sense, all those roads as I look at them...the sea, the mountains, are all a liminal space because no matter what degree I want to turn and journey, will lead me into a different experience. CHOICE IS LIMINAL

On 11/6/2021 at 9:01 PM, StaceyPowers said:

It's hard to think of specifics--I don't think I have anything as cool as @Reality vs Adventure's reply. But maybe standing at the docks at the Citadel in Mass Effect 3, looking out the window at the Normandy.

Yeah, I get that same feeling with playing Assassin's Creed with similar set up standing at vintage point and looking down at the foes to eliminate. 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:34 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Playing my open world, I look out beyond. I see the rivers, hills, ocean, mountains, valleys, roads...I can go anywhere I want. I am staring at all the opportunities. No matter what path I take, it will lead to a different unique experience. No path is the same. Having that freedom is very beyond me in life. To have those choices is something most don't have. To have those choices can be overwhelming. Freedom. I want to stick to roads where things were meant to be. But drift and break away from conformity. Travel up the hill to get a view. Go wherever you want. Walk the path, ride the path, and see things as the game wanted you to see. In that sense, all those roads as I look at them...the sea, the mountains, are all a liminal space because no matter what degree I want to turn and journey, will lead me into a different experience. CHOICE IS LIMINAL

It's why open world games are very addictive and special in a way. The limit to which you can explore are endless and the flexibility it comes with is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

It's why open world games are very addictive and special in a way. The limit to which you can explore are endless and the flexibility it comes with is amazing. 

Exactly, open world games like Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption 2 are very good examples of games that offer incredible Liminal spaces with the size of the world in it to explore. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly, open world games like Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption 2 are very good examples of games that offer incredible Liminal spaces with the size of the world in it to explore. 

That is the main reason why I personally love and appreciate praying most open-world games because it offers you so much more than the other type of video games that you can play.