Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Norse vs Greek Mythology

What are some similarities/differences that you know of between these two mythologies. I think they may have more in common than we are aware. I don't know much about the two, but is interesting to me and would like to learn more. Are the Greeks and Norse related genetically? I mean, we all share some of the same DNA in origin, but are they closely related? And in that sense developed similar mythologies? 

First off, DO NOT CALL IT MYTH.

You people need to learn something. Just because you don't believe in it that *DOES NOT* mean it's mythological. There are and were people who worshiped these Gods, long before the invention of christianity. Why don't you see how you feel after this:

"jesus, a mythical god of the christian religion, was said to ascend to a heaven-like state after death in christian mythology."

Does that work for you? No? Then take your heads out of your asses, and drop this prejudice bullshit.

I pay homage to the ancient Gods of Greece. But until you all quit calling them myth, I'm not going to explain or educate you on anything.

11 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You people need to learn something. Just because you don't believe in it that *DOES NOT* mean it's mythological. There are and were people who worshiped these Gods, long before the invention of christianity. Why don't you see how you feel after this:

"jesus, a mythical god of the christian religion, was said to ascend to a heaven-like state after death in christian mythology."

Does that work for you? No? Then take your heads out of your asses, and drop this prejudice bullshit.

I pay homage to the ancient Gods of Greece. But until you all quit calling them myth, I'm not going to explain or educate you on anything.

I wish I can change the title then and say religion, but I don't think I can. Out of respect what you believe I won't call it myth. Although I see a point that people shouldn't call an ancient religion myth and not christianity myth which is also ancient-2000 years old. So a fair point. 

On 11/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, The Blackangel said:

I think you're being a little harsh, here. Just because it's referred to as myths or legend that does not indicate a deliberate lack of respect for it. Besides, people taking religious parables and stories literally is rarely an enlightened thing to do. People justify homophobia and belief in a flat earth with that attitude. What matters is what it can teach you, how it can inspire you. For example, I feel Norse mythology has a lot of wisdom to impart, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to believe that all of existence is some massive tree. In other words, calm down. Either answer the man with courtesy or don't answer him at all.

Edited by Shagger

I think you're missing the point. The word "myth" means that it is false. That it has no basis to be considered anything more than bullshit. People believed in (and still do) these Gods and Goddesses long before xtianity ever existed. yet the myths of xtianity are always depicted by the vast majority as factual and actual events. Whereas the events of the Gods that i worship, are nothing more than a joke. And by dismissing it the way you are, you're passively calling it bullshit as well.

I won't tolerate that.

Edited by The Blackangel

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I think you're missing the point. The word "myth" means that it is false. That it has no basis to be considered anything more than bullshit. People believed in (and still do) these Gods and Goddesses long before xtianity ever existed. yet the myths of xtianity are always depicted by the vast majority as factual and actual events. Whereas the events of the Gods that i worship, are nothing more than a joke. And by dismissing it the way you are, you're passively calling it bullshit as well.

I won't tolerate that.

I think the most appropriate wording to use is 'lore.' Because lore doesn't mean something is real or not. The lore itself is what I'm interested in and that's why I posted this because I want to learn more about it and see if there is a relation between the Greeks and Norse.