Register Now
reecedouglas1

Post your unpopular opinions ?

Banning extremists doesn't help in getting rid of extremism, all it does is throw them into the far more dangerous deeper regions of the web instead of the rational area where they can be given the proper help that they need. To expect social isolation to be able to deradicalized someone, when it will rather escalate the problem, will not only cause people to get more extreme, but also put them in far more dangerous places on the internet.

Edited by Techno

34 minutes ago, Techno said:

Banning extremists doesn't help in getting rid of extremism, all it does is throw them into the far more dangerous deeper regions of the web instead of the rational area where they can be given the proper help that they need. To expect social isolation to be able to deradicalized someone, when it will rather escalate the problem, will not only cause people to get more extreme, but also put them in far more dangerous places on the internet.

It's definitely going to deter them to a reasonable extent than just allowing them run wild freely and do as they see fit? 

2 minutes ago, Heatman said:

It's definitely going to deter them to a reasonable extent than just allowing them run wild freely and do as they see fit? 

I see what you mean, after all just letting them run wild is just as bad as getting rid of them. However, I believe more in deradicalization then just tossing the grenade over the trench wall. The grenade needs to be stopped for sure, but just tossing it will cause it to explode. Deradicalizing is like putting the pin back in place and taking apart the grenade, instead of it being a threat, it's now a harmless item. The problem isn't where the grenade is, it's the grenade itself.

2 minutes ago, Techno said:

I see what you mean, after all just letting them run wild is just as bad as getting rid of them. However, I believe more in deradicalization then just tossing the grenade over the trench wall. The grenade needs to be stopped for sure, but just tossing it will cause it to explode. Deradicalizing is like putting the pin back in place and taking apart the grenade, instead of it being a threat, it's now a harmless item. The problem isn't where the grenade is, it's the grenade itself.

The thing is that there are some people the approach you're suggesting would work with perfectly but there are those whom it would just bounce off like it's useless. 

@Heatman

You are absolutely right about deradicalization not working on some people. The problem would then be where to put them. You couldn't just let them on the platform, but we can't just let them out into the deeper parts of the web, you've most certainly seen how toxic and hateful the surface web is, just imagine how bad the deep web is. I think when it comes to these type of people, there wouldn't be a answer that wouldn't involve some extreme measures. To be honest, I don't have the answers to that. I more of an optimist in people. We most certainly need to have a deeper conversation on this.

52 minutes ago, Techno said:

Some countries have domestic terrorism laws and other countries need to define those laws while staying within their constitution. There also needs to be international terrorism laws to prevent extremists from going on hate tours and building international networks. The problem with these laws is that the wrong people in government will use it against political opponents that aren't even considered extremists or terrorists. So we need those laws, but it will be exploited. I believe extremists need to be treated as a mafia/gang/spies and do some hardcore detective work, infiltration, 007 shit, to bring them all down; catch them in the act of terrorism. The USA took down Italian mobsters in that historic past, no excuse why we can't do that now. For christ's sake, a far right extremist left a bag full of bombs at a BLM protest to try and sabotage the movement and all he got was probation for it while other bags and explosives were found in his home which means he was planning on doing more of that. So we can't really enforce laws when extremists are also part of the police and court systems. So that's why I say it needs to be treated as a mafia or worse.

1 minute ago, Techno said:

@Heatman

You are absolutely right about deradicalization not working on some people. The problem would then be where to put them. You couldn't just let them on the platform, but we can't just let them out into the deeper parts of the web, you've most certainly seen how toxic and hateful the surface web is, just imagine how bad the deep web is. I think when it comes to these type of people, there wouldn't be a answer that wouldn't involve some extreme measures. To be honest, I don't have the answers to that. I more of an optimist in people. We most certainly need to have a deeper conversation on this.

What I can say to this is that I believe that people need to be given the opportunity to choose where they want to be, even if they showed some errors, there should be a system to correct and guide them back, but when they are presented that opportunity/chance but they choose to kick it, then they deserve all the sticks.