Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why does it cost money to game online on consoles?

If you check those that fixed the internet, made the connection to go viral are still earning for the services they created. Such wouldn't be elusive for video game studios/companies, they'll definitely earn rewards for the services they provided for gamers. 

On 2/13/2022 at 12:26 AM, killamch89 said:

Beats the hell out of me why you have to pay for a subscription on all three console platforms just to play games online. Quite frankly, I find this inexcusable and downright ridiculous, greedy and just an all round scummy practice.

The problem is that they can never turn a blind eye to anything that's going to help them make money off gamers. It's the reason why they have this practice. It's something they can easily scarp for gamers but they will never do it. 

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

@Shagger explanation is legit but couldn't they make it more affordable? Those subscription prices are a bit too much just to game online...

I think that it's all down to the fact that most of us are very quick to pay for the subscription, so they feel it's not an issue with the price. If they have the opportunity to increase the fee, they will. 

On 6/18/2022 at 4:45 AM, Aniekwe said:

I think that it's all down to the fact that most of us are very quick to pay for the subscription, so they feel it's not an issue with the price. If they have the opportunity to increase the fee, they will. 

Yeah - there hasn't been enough backlash about these things. Otherwise, they'd be priced far more reasonable...

I miss the days where gaming on consoles did not really cost anything. Like the earlier days of Nintendo before they started charging. That is another reason why I am primarily a PC gamer. I do own a PlayStation plus with the PlayStation five, but to be honest, I might let my PlayStation plus expire and not renew it. Considering that they are raising the prices up a fair amount.

On 9/23/2023 at 3:49 PM, kensonplays said:

I miss the days where gaming on consoles did not really cost anything. Like the earlier days of Nintendo before they started charging. That is another reason why I am primarily a PC gamer. I do own a PlayStation plus with the PlayStation five, but to be honest, I might let my PlayStation plus expire and not renew it. Considering that they are raising the prices up a fair amount.

Same here - I'm also primarily a PC gamer although I do have a Switch and a PS5 now. These gaming subscriptions would be costly if I didn't have a good amount of capital available per month.