Register Now
m76

Sequels that suffered massive downgrades from the original

What game sequels do you know that were worse than their predecessors in one or more ways?

For example Deus Ex Invisible War, featured maps that were a fraction of the size when compared to the original game's maps, to make them fit into the XBOX's limited capabilities.

I think the biggest downgrade I've experienced in gaming was Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2.  The first game so slick and cool.  The presentation was spot on with sharp visuals and a kick ass gothic and house hybrid soundtrack.  It controlled beautifully, it was one of the first games to mix gunplay in to this genre.  It had wide and interesting variety of enemies from It had simplistic but still fun story and characters and with enough mystery to push you forward in addition to how much fun it just was to play.

The second game however...  I don't even know where to start.  The graphics were muddy and depressing and the music was forgettable.  I swear half the assets were taken from the recycle bin's of Capcom's Resident Evil team, and the other half were from some generic library of random sprites.

The characters were caricatures of cardboard and the boring story had no connection to the first game.  It had two playable characters and campaigns, which I thought would be like Resident Evil 2 where you got to experience the story from the perspective of the other character but no.  You spend most of the time as Lucia going through the same area's, fighting the same enemies, solving the same puzzles and opening all the same doors that Dante just did, it's lazy and stupid.

The controls were terrible, they ditched the timing based combo system from the first game and instead mapped them to the right stick.  Not only was it incredibly cumbersome and awkward but in order pull them off you had to pull thumb of the left stick, so you were effectively paralyzing yourself.  Not to mention Dante's guns were stupidity overpowered to point were melee was borderline redundant.

The worst thing though, the aspect that made this game dead on arrival was the brain-dead AI.  Don't take my word for it, just watch this!

Enemies would often stay in place or just circle around apparently patiently waiting for their turn to get their ass beat.  They would refuse to attack until you hit them, some enemies (particularly bosses) couldn't move at all, some wouldn't react to being hit, you could literally walk (not even run, walk) past huge sections of levels without getting hit and a fuck ton other things.

It was a rushed, undercooked disaster that was pushed out just to quickly cash in on popularity of the first one.  They did deliver the sequel that Devil May Cry 2 should have been with Devil May Cry 3 and the franchise thankfully did recover but man what a black spot this was.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 2/2/2022 at 1:31 PM, Crazycrab said:

I think the biggest downgrade I've experienced in gaming was Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2.  The first game so slick and cool.  The presentation was spot on with sharp visuals and a kick ass gothic and house hybrid soundtrack.  It controlled beautifully, it was one of the first games to mix gunplay in to this genre.  It had wide and interesting variety of enemies from It had simplistic but still fun story and characters and with enough mystery to push you forward in addition to how much fun it just was to play.

The second game however...  I don't even know where to start.  The graphics were muddy and depressing and the music was forgettable.  I swear half the assets were taken from the recycle bin's of Capcom's Resident Evil team, and the other half were from some generic library of random sprites.

The characters were caricatures of cardboard and the boring story had no connection to the first game.  It had two playable characters and campaigns, which I thought would be like Resident Evil 2 where you got to experience the story from the perspective of the other character but no.  You spend most of the time as Lucia going through the same area's, fighting the same enemies, solving the same puzzles and opening all the same doors that Dante just did, it's lazy and stupid.

The controls were terrible, they ditched the timing based combo system from the first game and instead mapped them to the right stick.  Not only was it incredibly cumbersome and awkward but in order pull them off you had to pull thumb of the left stick, so you were effectively paralyzing yourself.  Not to mention Dante's guns were stupidity overpowered to point were melee was borderline redundant.

The worst thing though, the aspect that made this game dead on arrival was the brain-dead AI.  Don't take my word for it, just watch this!

Enemies would often stay in place or just circle around apparently patiently waiting for their turn to get their ass beat.  They would refuse to attack until you hit them, some enemies (particularly bosses) couldn't move at all, some wouldn't react to being hit, you could literally walk (not even run, walk) past huge sections of levels without getting hit and a fuck ton other things.

It was a rushed, undercooked disaster that was pushed out just to quickly cash in on popularity of the first one.  They did deliver the sequel that Devil May Cry 2 should have been with Devil May Cry 3 and the franchise thankfully did recover but man what a black spot this was.

They really almost killed off everything that the game stood for in Devil May Cry 2. It was like as if it wasn't the same company that developed and published the first one. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:31 AM, Crazycrab said:

I remember hearing the sequel wasn't as popular because of some changes. I didn't get too into the original game to begin with, but I heard it was pretty decent. I heard the third game kinda redeemed it though. But never played that one either. 

4 hours ago, Boblee said:

They really almost killed off everything that the game stood for in Devil May Cry 2. It was like as if it wasn't the same company that developed and published the first one. 

How the game looked in its trailer would tell you everything that you need to know about how they ridiculously wasted the game. 

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I remember hearing the sequel wasn't as popular because of some changes. I didn't get too into the original game to begin with, but I heard it was pretty decent. I heard the third game kinda redeemed it though. But never played that one either. 

They really messed up the game. This is something that's very common with EA practices which they seem not to get enough of. 

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

They really messed up the game. This is something that's very common with EA practices which they seem not to get enough of. 

There are so many notable video games that EA ended up destroying till date. Games like Dead Space and Ultima, Wing Commander. 

On 2/3/2022 at 9:02 PM, Kane99 said:

They definitely saw their mistakes and corrected it immediately. It's why most gamers looked past the letdown. 

18 hours ago, Heatman said:

I think he knows that 😂. There are some games that are very well clear to gamers the companies behind it. 

Yes of course, I'm very aware of that. Did anyone says otherwise based on that assessment?