Register Now
Kane99

Netflix should really start to release bigger/triple A games

On 9/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's true. Nintendo is definitely in a league of its own and I know that very well. It's only Sony and Microsoft that can compete with Nintendo. I'm just thinking that Amazon or Netflix can find a way to do something similar to how Nintendo started if it's possible for them to do it. 

They'd probably need to come up with a unique service not currently offered in the gaming industry for that to happen. Either that or when they gain a big enough reputation in this industry, they'll be able to hold their own against Sony and the others...somewhat.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

They'd probably need to come up with a unique service not currently offered in the gaming industry for that to happen. Either that or when they gain a big enough reputation in this industry, they'll be able to hold their own against Sony and the others...somewhat.

Agreed, it's simply not enough to just have money at this point. The more 'big budget' studios are out there, the less impressive having a big budget is. See what's happening with Microsoft's acquisition of licenses and Sony's acquisition of competent developers.

But what unique service can Netflix offer? They rode the high of humiliating Blockbuster for years but now they're no longer the top dog even in the space they popularised. There's rightly a lot of comparisons to Amazon, who have their own Lumberyard engine... which isn't as easy to use as Unity or Unreal engine and requires you go through Amazon's technical red tape. Their studios aren't producing much; out of the 23 games listed on Wikipedia, one is a port, one of their best series was adapted poorly as a video game, one tripped up at every hurdle, and three of their most interesting ideas have been cancelled. In other words, out of 23 games only Lost Ark has done Amazon proud, made in UE3, and as an outsider looking in as far as I can tell it's only another free-to-play ARPG.

If Amazon don't have a clue, what hope to Netflix have? 🤔

On 9/6/2022 at 12:50 AM, killamch89 said:

You have just spitted out facts and it's basically the only way I see them breaking into the gaming industry and be sustained at it. A lot of homework need to be done and done right on how they want to pursue the project, otherwise things will not end good for them. 

Looks like Netflix are starting their own gaming studio in Helsinki Finland, building it from scratch. They hired a dude named Marko Lastikka as their studio director, who previously worked for Zynga. I believe this studio will focus more on bigger titles. No idea what will result from this, but hopefully they produce some quality games. 

Source of news - https://about.netflix.com/en/news/building-our-internal-games-studios

Edited by Kane99

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Looks like Netflix are starting their own gaming studio in Helsinki Finland, building it from scratch. They hired a dude named Marko Lastikka as their studio director, who previously worked for Zynga. I believe this studio will focus more on bigger titles. No idea what will result from this, but hopefully they produce some quality games. 

Source of news - https://about.netflix.com/en/news/building-our-internal-games-studios

I just read about it not too long ago - as for the Mark Lastikka guy, I don't see much info about him either but hopefully this does bring them success in the gaming industry.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I just read about it not too long ago - as for the Mark Lastikka guy, I don't see much info about him either but hopefully this does bring them success in the gaming industry.

The article below gives more detail. Supposedly he worked for EA at one point and helped with live service games for both Zynga and EA. So he has some history, but I'm not seeing much to be honest. 

21 hours ago, Kane99 said:

The article below gives more detail. Supposedly he worked for EA at one point and helped with live service games for both Zynga and EA. So he has some history, but I'm not seeing much to be honest. 

Now that makes me less optimistic...He worked for EA and he helped with live service games? I guess we should lower our expectations.