Register Now
Withywarlock

Steam Hardware Survey February 2021 - July 2022 is in

Not sure how many people would be interested in this, but in case you missed it, here's a link or you can see the screenshot below:

What interests me is the dominant stats: the vast majority of Steam users have Nvidia cards to say I've noticed a lot of the games I play have AMD features (including my monitor, but I have a Nvidia 1070). It's interesting that in terms of OS, Windows 11 hasn't made a dent in the stats unless that's considered 'other' (1.54% as of this time). Intel processors are again heavily in the lead, to say AMD have apparently greatly improved what with the Ryzen brand. I don't quite get Macs myself, so you'll forgive my ignorance when it comes to why most people on Apple hardware would be doing so on a MacPro other than the better hardware. It's of no surprise that Oculus is in the lead when it comes to being the most popular VR headset.

Most of the stats in the bottom box are unsurprising: 16GB RAM is the standard, 1920x1080 isn't going away any time soon, and 1TB+ HDDs are quite common (I don't know if that's including SSDs). One thing I did find interesting is that 8GB VRAM graphics cards are the majority. Despite all the developments, sales and shortages, it really does appear that most of them are going to other things besides playing on Steam. I know this will be GPU Mining, but the figures being that low are staggering.

Anyway, I just thought this might be a nice novelty. Enjoy!

Screenshot 2022-08-02 at 07-38-53 Steam Hardware & Software Survey.png

It's not much of surprise really:

• 4k Gaming is still too expensive. You'd need a Rtx 3090 or Radeon 6900 to have a solid 4k gaming and Quad HD gaming is kind of a weird one. So HD gaming still holds the majority.
  • 16GB Ram doesn't really surprise me as that is the recommended value to run most modern games at medium to high settings.
  • Intel still dominates because they still hold majority of the market share and their gaming laptops are still superior to the AMD ones in terms of gaming performance.
  • Nvidia cards are more versatile as they're more optimized to run productivity software than their AMD counterparts so that explains why and 8GB VRam can run most modern games at medium to high settings.
  • HDDs are still way cheaper than SSDs and although the prices of SSDs have dropped significantly, they'll to drop further to compete with HDDs.

Unsurprisingly, despite being released so long ago, the 1060 still holds the top spot at 7.8% percent, with the most popular recently released 3000 series coming in at a pitiful 1.8 percent. The number is almost the same as it was a year ago, which is telling given that the majority of gamers haven't had access to the newest 3000 series for (more than) a year now. Therefore, one can only assume that everything went to cryptocurrency or rotted in the market for scalpers, which appears to be Nvidia's replacement for gamers.