Register Now
Kane99

Microsoft accuses Sony of paying developers to keep some games off Xbox Game Pass

On 8/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, Heatman said:

Anything that's linked with what Microsoft does in the video game industry which affects Sony is never going to be taken lightly by Sony because they know what Microsoft is capable of doing. If it's possible to see how pained Sony is with Microsoft purchase of Activision Blizzard, we would have seen it already. 

It's understandable though because they are like the biggest competition in the gaming industry right now and its natural for them to want to retain supremacy.

I wouldn't side with either in this one - Unless we see overwhelming evidence of Phil Spencer's accusations being true, I'm definitely not going to believe him. That being said, Sony has been making some pretty shady decisions over the past 5-7 years so I can't put it past them entirely either.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, Clasher said:

It's understandable though because they are like the biggest competition in the gaming industry right now and its natural for them to want to retain supremacy.

Yeah, they have been pulling a lot strings lately just to set themselves high in the gaming industry. Even when the company is involved in other projects outside gaming industry, they are not getting carried away by their success. 

8 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, they have been pulling a lot strings lately just to set themselves high in the gaming industry. Even when the company is involved in other projects outside gaming industry, they are not getting carried away by their success. 

Xbox is on a mission to acquire all the gaming studios they could lay their hands on and they have gotten approval to purchase Activision as well, all these are done so that they could out power their biggest competition Sony and it's same for Sony too because they have been doing some things lately to remain as the biggest even increasing the price of the PlayStation 5 to show that they could and still get people to buy them.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:57 PM, killamch89 said:

I wouldn't side with either in this one - Unless we see overwhelming evidence of Phil Spencer's accusations being true, I'm definitely not going to believe him. That being said, Sony has been making some pretty shady decisions over the past 5-7 years so I can't put it past them entirely either.

I believe that Sony is just doing anything and everything to keep Microsoft at bay with how they are trying to take full advantage of the gaming industry. Don't be surprised if this accusations ends up being true but the evidence might not be too obvious to get Sony caught up. They will definitely be very careful if they were to do that. 

On 8/25/2022 at 2:57 PM, killamch89 said:

I agree. I think Sony is over-reacting in a way, but I can see why they worry about Microsoft buying stuff up. I think nothing will come of this and Sony and Microsoft will move on. 

On top of Sony getting sued recently, I think their focus will be on something else. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I agree. I think Sony is over-reacting in a way, but I can see why they worry about Microsoft buying stuff up. I think nothing will come of this and Sony and Microsoft will move on. 

On top of Sony getting sued recently, I think their focus will be on something else. 

The recent sue against Sony isn't going to scratch them a bit because there's no case in the lawsuit of them exploiting or extorting their customers. 

As for trying to fight with Microsoft, they need the fire in their belly in order to keep up with the moves Microsoft makes in the gaming industry. 

On 8/26/2022 at 10:08 PM, Kane99 said:

That lawsuit against Sony isn't going anywhere so I wouldn't pay that much mind.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

That lawsuit against Sony isn't going anywhere so I wouldn't pay that much mind.

It's the way that I see it as well. Sony have more things to worry about than such kind of issues. I think they are more concerned about how to make Playstation 5 available because they have a lot of gamers on their neck for it. 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Are you sure? It seems to still be going on. I don't think Sony will lose, but it'll probably run its course before they settle out of court or the other side decides to concede or something. 

12 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Are you sure? It seems to still be going on. I don't think Sony will lose, but it'll probably run its course before they settle out of court or the other side decides to concede or something. 

Sony really felt hurt most with the acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft. It's what increasingly aided all the backbiting and it's not going to stop. It's believe that why Sony isn't cool with all is was that it's believed that Activision Blizzard is contractually committed to releasing only the three next Call of Duty games for Playstation consoles which this year's Modern Warfare 2 is among them. 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Sony really felt hurt most with the acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft. It's what increasingly aided all the backbiting and it's not going to stop. It's believe that why Sony isn't cool with all is was that it's believed that Activision Blizzard is contractually committed to releasing only the three next Call of Duty games for Playstation consoles which this year's Modern Warfare 2 is among them. 

I understand what you mean but I don't think it's that big of a deal because the only franchises that Activision had was Call Of Duty and World Of Warcraft and a few more I can't remember. Microsoft still have to be navigating their way through all the crap Activision has on its plate such as the sexual harassments, employee mistreatment, terrible decisions etc. As I said in another forum, COD isn't going to be an exclusive because it'd hurt Microsoft more if they did that.

17 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's due process, just give it a bit of time and it'll either be thrown out of the court or Sony will win the case because the premise is pretty stupid if I'm being honest.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's due process, just give it a bit of time and it'll either be thrown out of the court or Sony will win the case because the premise is pretty stupid if I'm being honest.

The way I see it, this can very much easily be put to bed if any of the so called developers steps up to testify. It's the only way I see Sony getting caught up in a web they can't escape from. 

On 8/31/2022 at 5:03 PM, Heatman said:

The way I see it, this can very much easily be put to bed if any of the so called developers steps up to testify. It's the only way I see Sony getting caught up in a web they can't escape from. 

But it's Sony's own platform and they can charge developers what they like. It's not going very far - trust me.