Register Now
StaceyPowers

How long until you give up on a puzzle and cheat?

It varies from game to game. Usually I'll sit there and bang my head against it until something works, but sometimes I just don't have the patience.

I was recently stuck at a puzzle in Elden Ring where you had to find an invisible bridge in order to get into a tower, and after a while I just gave up and looked it up. Turns out I was way off where I was supposed to look. I was also frustrated during that particular session due to a boss kicking my ass so I didn't have the patience for exploring all that much.

I was also stuck at the sliding block puzzle in the ice dungeon in Twilight Princess when I was a kid, took me hours of pushing and I must've just repeated the same pattern over and over..

On 8/17/2022 at 12:35 AM, Kane99 said:

Does anyone here still utilize strategy guides? Like the big books you could buy at the store for pretty much every game to come out. They still make them these days, but they're becoming less and less due to the internet and the ease of putting out a walkthrough. I wouldn't mind building up a strategy guide collection one day. I see no issues with using them when you're in a pinch. 

When everything is now online, heading back to books is like going back in time with the new and improved technology is there for you to make use of and get better results. Even the books lacks recent updates the online corners tend to have, so it's a big no for me. 

I felt so ecstatic when my senior sibling shared Dead Target zombie game with unlimited power regeneration, I said to myself I've gotten that perfect cheat which I'm looking for. It only lasted for one week and I gave up on the game, because their was nothing exciting, no major contest in the game because my player is just an immortal. 

On 8/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Tonberry said:

I was also stuck at the sliding block puzzle in the ice dungeon in Twilight Princess when I was a kid, took me hours of pushing and I must've just repeated the same pattern over and over..

I have a serious weakness in playing such games and it's why I try as much as possible to avoid getting into playing them. 

I never completed playing Twilight Princess  till today in all honesty because I got fed up. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:34 AM, StaceyPowers said:

When dealing with a tedious/challenging puzzle in a game, how long do you struggle to solve it on your own before you give up and look up the solution online?

To be honest, I sometimes give up in mere minutes, especially if it is in a game where I did not sign up to solve puzzles.

It completely depends on the game and if the puzzle is similar to another puzzle in the game.

Scenario #1 : Oldschool runescape has puzzles were you get rewards after such as clue scrolls, these can be annoying and stopping you from going back to PVM or other combat related tasks so I would generally use a plugin to quickrun them. Also the puzzle for a questline called Monkey Madness I would always pay the GP required to have it auto completed by an NPC do to speed running the quest.

Scenario #2 : A dungeon in a gave where you need to place objects or pull levers to exit into a new area it would be much more interesting to see if you get the right combination as its a 1 off playthrough, wouldn't want to ruin the feels.

Scenario #3 : Easter Eggs, I would hate to ruin easter egg locations or Mazes in general to get the content at the end. Seems to be a special part of the game that developers put in for the die hard fans who want to enjoy it or those who just stumble across the piece of content.

EOS

On 8/20/2022 at 3:25 AM, Empire Of Sight said:

It completely depends on the game and if the puzzle is similar to another puzzle in the game.

Scenario #1 : Oldschool runescape has puzzles were you get rewards after such as clue scrolls, these can be annoying and stopping you from going back to PVM or other combat related tasks so I would generally use a plugin to quickrun them. Also the puzzle for a questline called Monkey Madness I would always pay the GP required to have it auto completed by an NPC do to speed running the quest.

Scenario #2 : A dungeon in a gave where you need to place objects or pull levers to exit into a new area it would be much more interesting to see if you get the right combination as its a 1 off playthrough, wouldn't want to ruin the feels.

Scenario #3 : Easter Eggs, I would hate to ruin easter egg locations or Mazes in general to get the content at the end. Seems to be a special part of the game that developers put in for the die hard fans who want to enjoy it or those who just stumble across the piece of content.

EOS

That's true if the puzzle seems repetitive I would just skip or maybe find a more easier way to get it done.

I haven't played a lot of games with puzzles though but for the one I have encountered they weren't such a pain in the neck so cheating was never an option.

I will admit that I usually do not spend anymore than around 10 minutes on a puzzle before I get fed up and look for a solution online in a game. If I have been unable to solve the puzzle myself I get more and more frustrated if I keep trying so it's better for me to look online by then rather than just keep trying. I will admit though that when I do look online for the solution I feel like I cheated even though I didn't. Anyone else ever feel like this?

On 11/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, Shortie said:

I will admit that I usually do not spend anymore than around 10 minutes on a puzzle before I get fed up and look for a solution online in a game. If I have been unable to solve the puzzle myself I get more and more frustrated if I keep trying so it's better for me to look online by then rather than just keep trying. I will admit though that when I do look online for the solution I feel like I cheated even though I didn't. Anyone else ever feel like this?

I usually just let go of the entire puzzle if I can but in extreme cases I just get my friend to get past the level for me if they've already played and defeated the puzzle.

I don't usually feel like it's cheating though.