Register Now
DC

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer excepts fewer console exclusives going forward

27 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The most recent God Of War is on Steam and I'm so glad it is, it's like a PC gamer's dream come true. If Nintendo could do the same (they'll likely never do it), I'd be so happy.

There's a better relationship and cross over between consoles and PC games. It's why we have seen a lot of their games go to each platforms. But as for Nintendo, they are good in their own skin and it's why they don't allow such easily. 

I see that as a marketing strategy to show how much Microsoft cares about gamers. They knew that most of the gamers are already worried with their studios acquisition in recent months. So, coming out to assure everyone that more games won't be exclusive is a great thing for the brand.

17 minutes ago, Ajibusu said:

I see that as a marketing strategy to show how much Microsoft cares about gamers. They knew that most of the gamers are already worried with their studios acquisition in recent months. So, coming out to assure everyone that more games won't be exclusive is a great thing for the brand.

Yeah, it's a good way forward for their games and new acquisition. Gamers always want to play more games, and when they follow that path, it makes sense that they want more players getting into their brand. 

23 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

I like that they did that - at least they're somewhat reassuring gamers although you never know...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I like that they did that - at least they're somewhat reassuring gamers although you never know...but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise.

Yeah, that's correct. We can only bury them till they die and it's only after they go back on their word after the next three Call of Duty games are released on Playstation consoles. 

I'm glad console exclusives are dying. I have no problem with them when console makers differentiate their hardware from each other (the way it used to be in the old days), but when both major consoles are running the same chipset, exclusives are just an attempt to coerce prospective buyers into buying one machine over another without adding any real value to the machine.

Imagine having to buy multiple blu-ray players because Sony, LG, and RCA were selling "exclusive" blu-ray movies that were programmed to only work on their brand's machines. That's the absurd point the video game industry is at now.

The classic "console war" that has defined gamer zeitgeist since the N64 days is long dead. It's all about the streaming wars nowadays anyway, between the Big Three (HBO Max, Disney+ and Amazon Prime) as well as some lesser competitors heading towards irrelevance (Netflix, Hulu, everyone else). I'm glad though that it's dead because that means a lot of the gamers I couldn't play previously are now available on the PC. The only annoyance is that console exclusivity is only an issue if you don't own all consoles, and now that I've bought a PS5 AND a Switch, my PS5 is sitting there collecting dust, and the Playstation brand is no longer the "mystical console that holds exclusive JRPGs other consoles didn't bother with like Kingdom Hearts and Persona games" like it was in my childhood. Even the freaking Persona games are being ported, yet another contribution to the irrelevancy of the Playstation.

Actually, the only console I don't have currently is the XBox S/X because I've never been a fan of most XBox exclusives even before PC ports were a thing. The only game franchise I really liked was their big IP, Halo, and even then, I stopped at Halo 3. While the Playstation was busy catering to the JRPG niche that would become far more popular down the years, XBox was catering to the more mainstream gamer crowd with Halo, Forza, Gears of Wars, Dead or Alive 3, basically all the masculine type of games that involved racing, skimpy women fighting one another (or playing beach volleyball in gratuitous lingerie), or hardcore no-nonsense military shooters. Sony and the Playstation, on the other hand, were busy making money off effeminate Japanese men in their Final Fantasy games that continue to be one of the most successful video game franchises in the entire history of video games alongside Pokémon. That's why I've always considered XBox to be the "jock console" compared to PS exclusives which contained more depth and somberness to their games. Sure, the XBox had unique hits like Fable and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but by the time I got old enough to buy an XBox, those games were already ported to the PC (with KotOR releasing on Windows just a few months after its XBox exclusive release). And by the time Sony dropped The Last of Us and the Uncharted games, PS' dominance over the console war was all but inevitable. Then Insomniac's Spider-Man dropped, and it's check-f***ing-mate. I haven't even mentioned the Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War games that were previously PS exclusives as well. Say what you will about the Playstation, but its exclusives were legendary and defined an entire generation of gamers; XBox only had Halo. But I digress.

Edited by Akun

On 9/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, HowHammerYou said:

I'm glad console exclusives are dying. I have no problem with them when console makers differentiate their hardware from each other (the way it used to be in the old days), but when both major consoles are running the same chipset, exclusives are just an attempt to coerce prospective buyers into buying one machine over another without adding any real value to the machine.

Imagine having to buy multiple blu-ray players because Sony, LG, and RCA were selling "exclusive" blu-ray movies that were programmed to only work on their brand's machines. That's the absurd point the video game industry is at now.

They have exploited gamers more than enough for years and it's high time that they put an end to it. All of their strategies have always been to get gamers to pay more but I'm happy that we are getting a breather now. It's taken long enough. 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, HowHammerYou said:

This is true, exclusives are just a way to entice prospective buyers into purchasing their own products over others.

Its good news and we are expecting fewer exclusives as we move forward.