Register Now
Kane99

Fear Effect Reinvented

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I never played the Fear Effect games, so I can't judge it myself, but for those who did, check out the trailer below and tell me if this looks good or not. I personally think it looks mostly cheap and kinda boring. I get that it's a remake of a PS1 game, but it looks bad to me. And I think I know why, I looked at the comments on YouTube, and someone wrote this explaining the details: 

image.thumb.png.654861e6334ff8832e50722502e83800.png

And you can view the trailer below. What do you think?

12 minutes ago, Empire said:

Glad to see this remake isn't dead, Fear Effect deserves another chance to shine again. Gameplay looks like it could use some work though, especially the lack of reactions to gun shots.

Yeah, there is something off about the aminations. I like it when characters have swift, purposeful movement and reactions, but the movement also needs to be smooth, and this wasn't. It almost felt like the main character was moving between still frames of herself. And yes, the lack of any visual feedback to being shot or indeed her own shooting (no recoil or reaction) was also very apparent. I consider it ironic given what @Kane99 has learned about the troubled relationship between the artist and the developer, but the way the game looks is actually my favourite thing about it. I like the setting, the backgrounds are nice and busy, I love the cell-shading graphical style, the colour palette is fantastic with a vibrant yet brooding feel to it all. It looks great, but there is work to be done on this. I also really hope that they do the right thing by for this artist.

It doesn't look bad at all on a whole but the animations aren't very smooth. The aiming mechanic does seem a bit wonky from what I've seen in the trailer and to top it all off, the cell shaded graphics seem a bit dated. I know it's a remake of a PS1 title but still...

7 hours ago, Shagger said:

Yeah, there is something off about the aminations. I like it when characters have swift, purposeful movement and reactions, but the movement also needs to be smooth, and this wasn't. It almost felt like the main character was moving between still frames of herself. And yes, the lack of any visual feedback to being shot or indeed her own shooting (no recoil or reaction) was also very apparent. I consider it ironic given what @Kane99 has learned about the troubled relationship between the artist and the developer, but the way the game looks is actually my favourite thing about it. I like the setting, the backgrounds are nice and busy, I love the cell-shading graphical style, the colour palette is fantastic with a vibrant yet brooding feel to it all. It looks great, but there is work to be done on this. I also really hope that they do the right thing by for this artist.

I'm thinking that maybe it's still being worked on and that's why the animations are a bit off. With the art style, I prefer the cell-shading style too, I think the character model looks plain and boring though. I wonder what the artists character models looked like, because I'm assuming they were much different. Maybe they tried to replicate the character models from the original games. Because they would work a lot better in cell-shaed graphics. The character model they have now, kinda looks like your run of the mill 3D model that doesn't really fit the cell shaded graphics like a more cartoon/anime style look. 

That's what I imagine the original character models looked like. More in line with the original games characters. I imagine they were going to look more like this: 

fear_effect_sedna.0.0.jpg