Register Now
Shortie

Have you ever experienced motion sickness when using VR?

Something that has always put me off using or getting VR aside from the price has been the fact I have heard that it can cause motion sickness. Being that me and my children all suffer from this, it's put me off wanting to save and spend the hefty price for it.

Has anyone here used VR and experienced motion sickness? Is it something that happens?

The whole point of VR is to trick your senses into making you believe you are in another environment, so it's inevitable that it will cause at least some disorientation. Given that motion sickness is basically caused by a conflict between your senses of vision and motion, it's certainly possible that VR could induce this. I haven't actually tried a modern VR system, but if I did it wouldn't help you because everyone will react differently. Sorry, but they only way to know is to try it.

I haven't used VR yet, but may be finally getting the chance this Christmas as my nephew is getting a VR headset. Don't recall what kind, but I'll try it out for the first time to see how it feels. 

I imagine I will have some motion sickness or dizziness from it. I doubt we're meant to be looking at bright screens for long hours though, so inevitably you will be dealing with strain. Hell, looking at my monitor for too long causes my eyes to strain sometime. Any tech you stare at for too long will do it to ya. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I haven't used VR yet, but may be finally getting the chance this Christmas as my nephew is getting a VR headset. Don't recall what kind, but I'll try it out for the first time to see how it feels. 

I imagine I will have some motion sickness or dizziness from it. I doubt we're meant to be looking at bright screens for long hours though, so inevitably you will be dealing with strain. Hell, looking at my monitor for too long causes my eyes to strain sometime. Any tech you stare at for too long will do it to ya. 

I know what you mean. I often have to take breaks away from my PC when working due to eye strain. I did have a funny feeling that it may have some kind of effect on motion sickness being how motion sickness is caused. It would be fun to be able to try out I guess and would be something I would give a shot and if it made me unwell I would then just leave it and not bother. 

I tried out a Meta Quest 2 last month and honestly, after an hour. I started to feel nauseous and was disoriented. So much so that I just had to take it off - it's a pity too because I was really enjoying my VR experience.