Register Now
The Blackangel

Could you drive on the opposite side of the road?

Here in the states we drive on the right hand side of the road. The steering wheel is on the left side of the car. I know a lot of you drive on the left hand side of the road with the steering wheel to the right side of your car. But could you drive if everything were reversed? I know that I could never be able to manage that. I instinctively go to the right hand side of the road, so I would cause a lot of problems if I tried. The only time I drive on the left side is if I'm in the fast lane on the interstate. Or any double lane highway for that matter. But the road is still to the right.

So could you manage to do it?

I don't think it's as big of an adjustment as most Americans in particular seem to think it is.  People travailing to and from the UK and mainland Europe do this all the time.  I admit I have pretty minimal experience myself but I know plenty of people in the UK that have had to adjust to driving on the right hand side of the road for holidays and/or business trips to America of mainland Europe and they've told me it's really not that hard.  Physically the only difference (for an American) is that you operate the gears with your left hand instead of your right.  Road signs, other traffic and the layout of the road itself are all constant reminders of what side is the correct one.  The only significant issue is if your car is right hand drive (UK) but if you drive on the right (US, Europe) or vice versa.  Then you can't see as well because the driving position in on the outside of the road.

Edited by Crazycrab

I would never be able to trust myself to do that at all, I would probably make a mistake and without realizing end up on the wrong side of the road because it's what I am used to. You get so used to driving in a certain way that when you are driving you could inadvertently end up doing something that you are not supposed to. I would hate to be in that situation especially if the road are quite busy where I was driving. 

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Which country do you live in? Are there lots of aggressive drivers?

I'm in the UK. The other drivers aren't *too* bad here, but TBH, I'm probably one of the bad ones! (I try not to be, but still...)