Register Now
killamch89

Which gaming franchise has the most dedicated fanbase and why?

2 hours ago, ZandraJoi said:

I will go with GTA. I have seen that talked about the most on forums & sites I'm on. It seems to be quite popular. I too have seen people only play the one game & nothing else. Maybe it's to be proficient at it or maybe because they just like playing it. What do you think?

I don't know to be honest - there's a variety of reasons why some people only choose to play one gaming franchise and nothing else. I do know of people who only play Castlevania, Resident Evil and other gaming franchises.

It's hard to pin down what a dedicated fanbase is anymore too. Most fanbases have a bad subsection of fans that are often way too serious. I look at fans of The Last of Us for example. When the second game came out, fans threw a fit how it played out, the cast of characters, the people who died in the game (won't spoil, but you know who I'm talking about if you played.) and so on. 

Fans threw a fit and harassed the voice cast, the producers, creators etc because the game didn't go the direction they wanted it to. I think fanbases think they're more important than they really are. Like yeah sure, they need us fans to buy their games, and support them. But you can't please them all, and never will be able to. There will always be this side of a fandom that will be too serious about their fandom. 

That's why it's hard for me to pick a dedicated fanbase, because there seems to always been a small, or sometimes huge side of the fanbase that hates more than appreciates. 

I've got to say as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, our community has the most dedicated fan base. We've got numerous talented people who work on fan comics, fan games, and even hacks. I'm part of the hacking community, and am a Tech Member on Sonic Retro, one of the largest Sonic sites on the internet. In fact, some of the other Tech Members on the board went on to help make Sonic Mania, as well as the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD. Not to mention the same fans worked on Sonic Origins recently. Sure we've got our share of terrible fans, but every single fan base has a toxic side. Next I would say the Pokemon community is also very dedicated as well, there's a large modding scene there too.

The Team Fortress group has stuck around a game that hasn't had any major updates for years now. That type of dedication is far more special than just a yearly franchise or a dead franchise. They keep playing even when there is nothing new to play.

8 hours ago, Techno said:

The Team Fortress group has stuck around a game that hasn't had any major updates for years now. That type of dedication is far more special than just a yearly franchise or a dead franchise. They keep playing even when there is nothing new to play.

There are a good amount of fanbases that also do that like Perfect World which hasn't gotten official support in over a decade yet the private servers are still incredibly active. Team Fortress is a massively underrated title though.

8 hours ago, Techno said:

Yeah I can see that. Team Fortress 2 seems to have stuck around for quite a long time, and I think it's because of its dedicated fanbase. I liken it to a cult following kind of thing, where fans keep the game alive. Much like cult classic movies and how they became popular. 

On 2/27/2023 at 7:54 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah I can see that. Team Fortress 2 seems to have stuck around for quite a long time, and I think it's because of its dedicated fanbase. I liken it to a cult following kind of thing, where fans keep the game alive. Much like cult classic movies and how they became popular. 

That's true - I mean, I remember playing Team Fortress 2 in the early 2010's and I can't believe it's still as active now as back then especially the community. Maybe a lot of other online game studios can learn something.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:42 PM, killamch89 said:

That's true - I mean, I remember playing Team Fortress 2 in the early 2010's and I can't believe it's still as active now as back then especially the community. Maybe a lot of other online game studios can learn something.

Yeah they can. I think they helped inspire the rise of games like Fortnite. Especially after TF2 went free to play after a while. I think the popularity of TF2 will go on for years to come. 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:00 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I've got to say as a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, our community has the most dedicated fan base. We've got numerous talented people who work on fan comics, fan games, and even hacks. I'm part of the hacking community, and am a Tech Member on Sonic Retro, one of the largest Sonic sites on the internet. In fact, some of the other Tech Members on the board went on to help make Sonic Mania, as well as the mobile ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD. Not to mention the same fans worked on Sonic Origins recently. Sure we've got our share of terrible fans, but every single fan base has a toxic side. Next I would say the Pokemon community is also very dedicated as well, there's a large modding scene there too.

You know, I gotta admit, Sonic fans are dedicated. I lost my fandom a bit after the series went 3D. I preferred the side-scrolling side of Sonic over the 3D. So I never got into the newer titles myself. But, Sonic fans have stuck by the series, even after they delivered a few stinkers, and mediocre titles. I think Sonic is in the right direction finally, but it can still do better and improve. And I hope they do get better and the next Sonic game is even better than Frontiers. 

The gaming franchise with the most dedicated fanbase is subjective and varies among different players. Some contenders include "World of Warcraft" for its long-standing community, "The Legend of Zelda" for its iconic gameplay and storytelling, and "Pokémon" for its enduring appeal and global following. But personally, I would always go with the Grand Theft Auto franchise. I've always been a huge fan of it and eagerly waiting for it's next release, the Grand Theft Auto VI. I've seen all the leaks which are out on YouTube which makes me sure that this game is going to be one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

I would say Call of Duty due to people still purchasing the new game year after year, when really it is the same thing. xD 

I also would say Runescape is another because people always seem to return to it year after year. They brought old school, they bring new skills, people continue to play. People take a break but then they always return. It's the curse of Runescape lol.