Register Now
Kane99

Modding ROMs to randomize drops and add multiplayer

I recently played a randomizer for Ocarina of Time on the N64 through emulation on PC. I guess there's a community out there that updates retro games and randomizes all the drops and hidden items, completely changing the game. The randomizer I played even allows for people to play online together, even getting up to 50+ players in one game. 

Had anyone here played a randomizer of a classic retro game? I don't know the whole process of how to set it all up, but you need the ROM for the game and have to do a bunch of other steps I have already forgotten. 

I'm curious to know what other retro games are being brought back to life in similar ways. Have you guys ever played a retro game that was randomized from its original release? Would you? It sort of adds new life to older games, so I'm honestly all for it. 

I like playing randomized roms of the Generation 1 Pokemon games. There's the Universal Pokemon Randomizer program that will work on Pokemon games from Generation 1 all the way up to Generation 5. You can randomize your starter Pokemon, music, what Pokemon you'll encounter, trainer classes, and trainer party Pokemon. There is also a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit) randomizer, but it's limited to what it can randomize. You can't randomize the level layouts too much, otherwise you'll encounter collision issues.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:55 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I like playing randomized roms of the Generation 1 Pokemon games. There's the Universal Pokemon Randomizer program that will work on Pokemon games from Generation 1 all the way up to Generation 5. You can randomize your starter Pokemon, music, what Pokemon you'll encounter, trainer classes, and trainer party Pokemon. There is also a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit) randomizer, but it's limited to what it can randomize. You can't randomize the level layouts too much, otherwise you'll encounter collision issues.

Nice. I want to look into other games and see what options are out there for those. Like even further back like NES, SNES games. I doubt it's possible for those games, but I am wondering now if there is a scene on the internet that adds multiplayer and other mods to retro games from the 3D era (PS1,N64,Dreamcast,PS2,Xbox,etc)

8 hours ago, Empire said:

I have not looked and even touched REtro games in terms what you mention but GTA I have, not the new but the old series

What did you do with the original games? I didn't play much of the original games, not until they went 3D with GTA III. But I suppose if you have the ROM/ISO and the technical knowhow to mod, it could be easy to patch changes. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:15 PM, Kane99 said:

What did you do with the original games? I didn't play much of the original games, not until they went 3D with GTA III. But I suppose if you have the ROM/ISO and the technical knowhow to mod, it could be easy to patch changes. 

I still got the dics, just collecting dust and boxed away 😜 I do download dig.. nowdays 

Remaster edtion of GTA I have not got, I do not see myself playing it again anytime soon. 

I can't say I have ever played retro game that was released as an emulator and had things changed to give it a new lease of life. I would be all for it though as I feel the older retro games were the best games and having them brought back to life but changed a little to give them a new lease of life would be amazing.