Register Now
killamch89

If you were stranded on a deserted island and had to choose between eating a raw octopus or a poisonous mushroom to survive, which would you choose and why?

I have actually tried octopus, and it's like trying to chew rubber. It literally doesn't chew at all. I've also eaten a few poisonous mushrooms when I was a kid in a few attempts to commit suicide. Considering that the options are chew the octopus for the rest of my life, or be sick as hell. I'll go with the octopus again.

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Raw Octopus all day although he'd definitely put up a fight like you'll see in video below. Which one would you choose and why?

Yeah, I certainly won't offer any sympathy over what happened to her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's still alive, so I would obviously still go for the octopus because that is at least edible. Before I explain further, a quick lesson in tastebuds. There are two primary functions for tastebuds. 

1. To alert you to incompatible and dangerous materials before they can enter your digestion by having them taste horrid.
  2. Offering a pleasurable experience in reaction to nutrient's you body is the most in need off, that's what cravings are.

So whilst what this streamer stupidly put herself though was unpleasant, eating a poisonous mushroom would, if anything, be worse. Not only could it kill you, the experience eating would be something I'd wish on nobody. It's not just the taste, that would likely be rancid, but how it would make you feel as your body reacts to it as it attempts to digest it. Poison is prolonged and way more painful than any work of fiction can do justice. Even if you survive, it's unlikely the mushroom would even have any nutritional value anyway, so you'll be putting yourself through it for nothing. Wait, no, worse actually, because your body will have wasted valuable energy and water trying to neutralise said poison, so you'll probably be worse than you were to begin with. The octopus is at least food, it will quell you hunger and has nutrients and protein. So, with all due respect and with I genuine application for the topic @killamch89 (mostly for the video), this is quite a stupid question with an obvious answer.

On 3/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, Shagger said:

Yeah, I certainly won't offer any sympathy over what happened to her, but that doesn't change the fact that she's still alive, so I would obviously still go for the octopus because that is at least edible. Before I explain further, a quick lesson in tastebuds. There are two primary functions for tastebuds. 

1. To alert you to incompatible and dangerous materials before they can enter your digestion by having them taste horrid.
  2. Offering a pleasurable experience in reaction to nutrient's you body is the most in need off, that's what cravings are.

So whilst what this streamer stupidly put herself though was unpleasant, eating a poisonous mushroom would, if anything, be worse. Not only could it kill you, the experience eating would be something I'd wish on nobody. It's not just the taste, that would likely be rancid, but how it would make you feel as your body reacts to it as it attempts to digest it. Poison is prolonged and way more painful than any work of fiction can do justice. Even if you survive, it's unlikely the mushroom would even have any nutritional value anyway, so you'll be putting yourself through it for nothing. Wait, no, worse actually, because your body will have wasted valuable energy and water trying to neutralise said poison, so you'll probably be worse than you were to begin with. The octopus is at least food, it will quell you hunger and has nutrients and protein. So, with all due respect and with I genuine application for the topic @killamch89 (mostly for the video), this is quite a stupid question with an obvious answer.

I wouldn't call it edible. Like I said, it's not possible to chew. You will not break it down in order to swallow it. And a live octopus could latch on in your esophagus and you would die of asphyxiation. The mushrooms you could at least vomit out which could neutralize the problem if done quick enough.

As I said, I've done both and I'm still here.

Neither options seem the greatest to be honest but I would much rather not poison myself if I am honest so I would definitely have to go for the raw octopus. It may put up a fight and it may not be the easiest thing to consume but it would be better than eating a poisonous mushroom for sure. 

Yeah, I think I'm on the octopus's side on this one... it was only trying to protect itself from being eaten (and not just eaten, but eaten alive!)

Myself, I don't even consider poisonous mushrooms to be food, so I'd take a chance on the raw octopus... although I would do everything in my power to stop it from fighting!

On 3/11/2023 at 8:30 PM, Kyng said:

Yeah, I think I'm on the octopus's side on this one... it was only trying to protect itself from being eaten (and not just eaten, but eaten alive!)

Myself, I don't even consider poisonous mushrooms to be food, so I'd take a chance on the raw octopus... although I would do everything in my power to stop it from fighting!

I understand why the octopus did what it did in the video and I'm normally against eating animals especially when they're alive as it'll suffer but it was either or situation.