Register Now
Kane99

How fast will GTA V online lose players once VI drops?

VI's trailer is expected to drop tomorrow. It's crazy that we're finally at the point where we get to full on witness what the next installment is going to be. GTA VI has been in the works forever now, having GTA V out for 10+ years now. I don't know when we can expect GTA VI, but I assume either late 2024 or early 2025 for release. Now this isn't about GTA VI necessarily, but more about what will happen to GTA V after GTA VI drops. Do you expect the numbers to fall off big time once GTA VI drops? Or will is somehow survive with the community of role players out there? 

GTA IV for example wasn't very popular longer after V came out, so my guess is V will suffer the same fate once GTA VI drops. What do you think?

I think it won't be as quick as when people dropped IV for V, since V has been active for over a decade at this point. Many people have invested in tons of time and money to the game, and probably will stick around a bit longer when VI drops. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if there's still a good dedicated playerbase for years to come until Rockstar decides to pull the plug on V's servers. They know it'll still bring in good money, which is why they waited so long to actually reveal VI.

I was shocked when I heard that the GTA VI trailer leaked and Rockstar had to release it earlier than they had planned but at the same time, probably should have expected it with the anticipation. 

I have seen the trailer and the hype now over the internet is as expected. 

I fully expect GTA V Online to stay popular now until we get a release of GTA VI but once 6 drops, there will be a noticeable drop in GTA V in terms of online.

I just realised I didn't even address the topic itself, sorry about that.

Quite honestly, I would never have expected GTA VI to come out at all, unless the playerbase for GTA Online dropped. And maybe it did, I don't know. GTA Online was an udder I didn't think Rockstar and Take Two would ever stop milking.

Oh man, that trailer looks pretty damn good. 

I think people normally would be excited for GTA 6 and rush over to a new map with new features. And even more so after a 10+ year wait. You most likely would have to have the new generation console and more are available now. So I expect PC gamers would be the fastest ones moving from GTA 5 to GTA 6. We can tell that the release of this trailer means that Rockstar is gearing up for some massive hype. 2 years from now, the game will probably be $90 brand new lol. So who knows; a game like that with all its fans, people are probably willing to spend the extra bucks and surge into GTA6 online. 

GTA Online has been popular for many years now and I feel many still play this even to this day. I have played GTA Online a few times myself but could never fully get into it. 

Do you still play GTA Online? How often would you say you play?

32 minutes ago, Shortie said:

GTA Online has been popular for many years now and I feel many still play this even to this day. I have played GTA Online a few times myself but could never fully get into it. 

Do you still play GTA Online? How often would you say you play?

This existing and recent topic I felt was similar enough that your new thread wasn't necessary, so I've merged them.

It's difficult to predict with certainty, but based on historical patterns, it's possible that GTA V's popularity may decline once GTA VI is released. However, the community of role players and dedicated fans might still keep GTA V alive to some extent. Ultimately, time will tell how GTA V fares after the release of its successor.