Register Now
Kane99

Ever attempt to clean a console and end up breaking it? I did. :(

So not too long ago, maybe back in August I attempted to clean my Xbox One as it had yet to be cleaned in over 7 years of owning it. I took it apart and used an electric duster to clean out the gunk, but I must have done something as it wouldn't turn back on. I even replaced the thermal paste on the damn thing and nothing. It's now sitting on a shelf with a broken laptop of mine, just waiting until I either repair it, or get a used Xbone and replace it with my HD. 

Anyway, have you ever attempted to clean a console, or even a PC and it ended up breaking in the process? What would you do? Try to get it repaired or move on? Maybe it's time I just get my hands on a new console, like the PS5 or an Xbox Series X or S. 

I’ve never done that. I always keep a cloth over my ps4 when not in use and I turn off automatic updates so that it doesn’t turn on in the middle of the night and over heat while the cloth is over it. I think the new Xbox is compatible with your Xbox one games, but double check on that. So that may be the way to go unless there are exclusive ps5 games you are interested in. I myself was trying to decide to get the new Xbox or PlayStation, but since I have a ps4 and I bought some ps4/ps5 compatible digital games, I’ve decided to get a ps5 as soon as I find a deal I want. Plus ps5 does play ps4 discs that I have, and I find there are more Sony exclusives I am into. 

I tend to dust and use the vacuum on the lowest suction to clean my console when it is needed but I will admit, I would not dare open up the console to clean it for fear that I would break it and not know how I had done it. 

The way I clean mine seems to work well enough so I stick to that. 

On 12/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, Kane99 said:

get a used Xbone and replace it with my HD.

In theory that sounds like a good idea, but the problem is that most systems from the PS3/Xbox 360 generation forward have put a differing design hard drive in their systems so that they couldn't simply be taken out and put in a different machine. It was a bullshit move to try to force consumers to have to buy new systems when something broke, thus increasing their profits. I know for a fact that the PS3 was like that, because I've tried repairing several that had hard drive crashes, and the hard drives were all physically different to the point that the new ones couldn't even go into the console, let alone be installed into it. So you may have to bite the bullet and lose all your data, or find a tech whiz and see if they can fix your Xbox and save your data.

I've sort of done this myself. I technically didn't break one of my Sega Genesis Model 2 consoles, but I never could put the damn motherboard back in the shell properly. It's still not fully put together and the screws are in a Pokemon tin. :V You have to maneuver the motherboard into the shell a specific way and I can't figure it out.