Register Now
svjiminfxv

How important is storytelling in a video game for you?

If I am playing a video game and a story is involved then I find it very important. 

I find that I get get immersed in the game with a story and feel like I am part of the game and the story and the feeling when that happens is amazing. 

It's a shame some games tend to spend very little time on their story in some cases. 

I play games all for the storyline, so this is very important to me. I want to be drawn into it just like I would a good movie or TV series. If it can make me feel anxiety, a sense of loss, or make me tear up, all the better!

If there's no storyline, there's no game. It has no point unless it's some kind of puzzle game like Tetris or Myst. If you're playing a game with any kind of characters that you control, there MUST be a story. Can you imagine if Skyrim, RDR2, or even Zelda had no story in it? You were just screwing around doing nothing because there was no aim of any kind? That's a pure waste of time in every way. from every angle if you ask me. Now if you have played a game to the final end, and it doesn't actually give you any kind of quests anymore (RDR2 epilogue for example) then you can play that if it interests you. I have a file that's in the epilogue. I'm just filling my compendium, and doing completely random things. I'm thinking I might record an epilogue video for the YouTube channel @Rain Dew and I have. I just haven't decided yet. There's a lot of things that you can't do until you're in the epilogue, such as finish Herbalist 9. So it's an idea. I might start doing some educational videos about things like astronomy on one of my other channels.

As usual I'm rambling and getting off topic. Again.
I really need to learn how to shut the hell up.

Yes a story is crucial to games except puzzle games like Tetris, Myst, or any other in that genre.

Edited by The Blackangel

Story is huge thing for me, it pretty much what makes a game for me these days. It's the motivation to keep playing and exploring whatever game it is. Let me put it this way, I can play a bad game with a great story more easily than a good game with a poor story.

A game can get dry after the story is over.

One example I can think of it the Horizon games (Zero Dawn, Forbidden West). Once the campaign is over, there may be still be things to do like find collectibles. But even when you have accomplished all that you can accomplish then you can still run around and fight mechanical monsters. But at this point, there is no point.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:22 AM, The Blackangel said:

an you imagine if Skyrim, RDR2, or even Zelda had no story in it? You were just screwing around doing nothing because there was no aim of any kind?

Exactly. It would not be motivating at all.