Register Now
isaiah990

Why i think PC gaming is better than console gaming

PC gaming has numerous advantages over console gaming. 

Graphics - You can look at people comparing console graphics to PC graphics with similar graphics hardware on YouTube. Right away, you can notice the differences. PC graphics look alot clearer, crispier, sharper, more vibrant with color. Console graphics look a little blurry and pixelated. That's because PCs have more powerful hardware.

Controls - PC controls are alot more efficient and quicker than console controls. With console fighting games, you have to push specific buttons in specific ways to do combos. on controllers. On PC, its much easier to just push specific buttons without worrying much about pressure sensitivity.

Quantity of games - PC has a lot more games than consoles. PC has RTS which isn't popular in consoles. PCs have emulators that can play console games. Consoles don't have that.

Value - PC offers better value for your money. Consoles can last around 10 years before they have to be completely replaced. On the other hand, you buy a gaming PC once and it can last over 20 years. If you want to play more powerful games, all you'd have to do is replace specific pieces. You can buy affordable graphics cards.    

If you want a more in-depth analysis, see my article (Link Removed by Moderator).

Edited by Shagger

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a lot of this. First and foremost, I want to make perfectly clear I love PC gaming, I truly do, but it has drawbacks. It's expensive, complicated and not nearly easy or reliable as gaming on console. It is not for everyone, and being a PC gamer doesn't make one in any way superior.

On 12/14/2023 at 5:21 PM, isaiah990 said:

Graphics - You can look at people comparing console graphics to PC graphics with similar graphics hardware on YouTube. Right away, you can notice the differences. PC graphics look alot clearer, crispier, sharper, more vibrant with color. Console graphics look a little blurry and pixelated. That's because PCs have more powerful hardware.

True, but it comes at a price. You can expect to pay around 2-3 times the cost of a console to run the same game at the same quality on PC. I'll touch more on this later.

Controls - PC controls are alot more efficient and quicker than console controls. With console fighting games, you have to push specific buttons in specific ways to do combos. on controllers. On PC, its much easier to just push specific buttons without worrying much about pressure sensitivity.

This is nonsense. The quality of controls come to individual games and game types. Yes, mouse and keyboard are great on FPS's and strategy games, but they're terrible on games that require precise control of movement pace, like stealth games. Have ever tried to play something like TLOU or Assassin's Creed with a mouse and keyboard? I know that some Bethesda RPG's like Fallout and TES have perks that allow you to sneak while moving at full pace without penalty. Well, I do play those games with a mouse and keyboard and let's just say I can see why they included those perks.

As for the part I've highlighted, that's just a straight up lie. With a controller, you push a button, it does a thing, it's not more complicated than that. I don't know what fighting games or controllers you've been using, but they don't work like that.

Quantity of games - PC has a lot more games than consoles. PC has RTS which isn't popular in consoles. PCs have emulators that can play console games. Consoles don't have that.

Actually there are emulators that can be used on console, but for most part you're right. The sheer choice of games on PC is staggering, but there is a problem. Now this just my opinion, so take how you want, but I feel consoles have had better exclusives over the years, especially Nintendo and PlayStation. Yes, a PC can emulate a lot of console games, but it's very sketchy in terms of legality. I know emulation itself is not illegal, but downloading the ROM's you need to run console exclusives on an emulator is. Not to mention it's a pain in the ass with reliability and compatibility problems throughout the process.

Value - PC offers better value for your money. Consoles can last around 10 years before they have to be completely replaced. On the other hand, you buy a gaming PC once and it can last over 20 years. If you want to play more powerful games, all you'd have to do is replace specific pieces. You can buy affordable graphics cards.   

It's one of the great fanboy contradictions that PC fanboys consider themselves "The Master Race"  (FYI, you're referring to yourselves a Nazi every time you say that.) for being able to afford thier hyperigs, yet insist PC is cheaper all at the same time. Yes, I know that cost and value are not the same thing, but I'll get to that later.

Consoles are so much cheaper to buy than PC's because a console serves as a revenue stream for the manufacturer, so those companies can afford to make no money, or even a loss, on the sale of the hardware. PC's are a very different story. Whether they're sold as a pre-built unit or as individual parts, PC manufactures need to make thier money on the hardware sale, that's why they're so expensive. You could buy a PS5 and a cheap laptop to serve as a utility computer and still not spend the same amount of money as you would do on a gaming PC that matches a PS5's gaming capabilities.

However, if you think you can, then I challenge you to try. Go on PC Part Picker and make a mock build that matches a PS5 in terms of gaming performance. I'll even be generous and allow you a budget double the cost of a PS5, so I'll say $1000 (or the equivalent) if you include a UHD blu-ray drive in your build, $900 if you don't. However, you must include a mouse and keyboard because;

1. That is the user interface and is every bit as essential as a motherboard.
  2. When you by a console, you will get at least one controller with it as part of the package. In other words, the user interface is included, so you have to include it as well.

It's not like PC games are much cheaper than console games anymore either. 10 years ago that was a genuine advantage, but not so much now. And of course, let's not forget the problems with an all-digital set up and no used games like you can get on consoles. Even though console do some shady shit like charge to play online, you can game cheap on a console if you're smart about it, just like PC gamers can game cheap if they're smart about it.

And I've highlighted yet another very misleading statement. Yes, you can keep a Gaming PC going for 20 years, but how many upgrades would one have to do in order to keep it playing new games over that time? It would basically consist of a complete rebuild at least once. Buying new consoles and peripherals over 20 years can easily cost a good $1500-$2000 (I'm obviously not including the cost of games, just the hardware), but if you think that the upkeep of a gaming PC wouldn't cost at least as much (but likely more) over the same period then you, with all due respect, are deluded.

PC's can offer great value for money, but only for people who are very dedicated to it. One does have to invest a lot of money into PC gaming to get the best out of it, a lot more than one would on console. There is nothing wrong with somebody looking at the two options and deciding that PC gaming isn't worth it to them. It's great that you're happy with what you've got out of what you invested in PC gaming, but just because it's true for you, doesn't make it true for everybody else.

In conclusion, I don't think you're ready to admit that console gaming has benefits over PC's in some ways because of some weird loyalty complex. It's just a PC, a load of wires, solder and silicone, you don't need to fight for it. In the end, what matters is games. I'm not a PC fan, I'm not a console fan, I'm a fan of good games. What I'm playing them on matters little.

Edited by Shagger

One of the biggest advantages I feel PC gaming has is that it can be cheaper in the long run for the best gaming experience, the only downside is you need the funds first before you can purchase the PC which will come at a price when first purchased. 

It is a good investment though due to the huge catalogue of games you have access to on PC. 

PCs have more processing power and can run games at higher frame rates. The drawback to it is the cost. Console is definitely cheaper, but does not have the same performance as a high end PC. 
If you want the best gaming experience where money is not a hinderance, PC it should be. 

This is always going to be subjective in my opinion. Those who prefer playing on PC for one reason or another will always tell you that PC is better than consoles. I don't have time to argue with them, I'll just stick with loving my console.