Register Now
Kennysplash

What game would you recommend to a new gamer?

Someone new to gaming approaches you and ask for recommendations on what games to start playing first. I started by playing super Mario on Sega, something non complex. I would advise that too, possibly Tetris as well.
From there they can figure out their choice and what to move on to. I would not want to suggest a complex game which can pose a great challenge or leave them confused.

What would you do?

On 12/29/2023 at 3:39 AM, Kennysplash said:

I started by playing super Mario on Sega

When was Super Mario on Sega? The rivalry between Nintendo and Sega was so fierce that there's no way Nintendo would have leased their mascot game to their rival.

Now to answer the thread question, I would have to know what gen and platform they're starting off on. I wouldn't recommend anything that goes too in depth. Meaning I would leave most AAA games out at the time. I would integrate them in slowly with what their interests are and go from there.

Bro Sonic was on the Sega Genesis, Mario was strictly Nintendo. Unless you ended up with a bootleg which in case there is a Super Mario bootleg on the Genesis. Anyways I would definitely go with Sonic, Mario, or even Pokemon for a new gamer. Something simple yet fun and enjoyable. From there if they continue to enjoy playing games you could introduce them to bigger titles. I tried getting my mother in law into modern games since she used to play the NES when it first came out when she was a teenager, but she was eager to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and couldn't really grasp using the PS4 controller since she was used to just the four buttons on the NES controller. Now she's got a PS4 she never uses anymore in one of our spare bedrooms for whenever her nephew comes over during the summertime.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:46 PM, Ravenfreak said:

Bro Sonic was on the Sega Genesis, Mario was strictly Nintendo.

EXACTLY!

@Kennysplash You really need to get your systems and facts right. You're on a gaming forum. And the fact that you made this blunder is like a cardinal sin. If we had sins. Everyone fucks up (TBH I do more than anyone else here) but just make sure you get the basics right. I'm not trying to bitch at you or come down on you, I'm just trying to give you a bit friendly of advice as a fellow member, not as a mod.

Other than that, great topic.🙂

Edited by The Blackangel

I would recommend something that isn’t the new generation console because many still don’t have it. I would not recommend an open world. I’m thinking something fun, not overwhelming with controls. Nothing too challenging or repetitive sports. I’d say a game like A Plague Tale Innocence; a game for all ages. It’s simple mechanics and good story. Do not jump into big AAA games because a new gamer will not appreciate it. It takes time to appreciate games. And when it happens, you will find your own love for gaming. I think a story oriented game would be best to start with. 

Edited by Reality vs Adventure

It's actually very difficult to know what's going to be the right game to recommend for a new gamer especially when you don't know what the person's interests are like. I would try and find out the platform which the person intends to start playing. This will give me an idea of what kind of easy going game to pick for him or her to start out with.