Register Now
Kane99

What will the next gen Xbox be called?

I've been hearing rumors that Microsoft is working on yet another console, I mean, that's sort of to be expected at this point. The Series X and S are closing in on their 4 year mark this November. Most console generations have lasted around 5 years or so, so we're getting closer to the inevitable end. The Xbox One lasted for 7 years, but I don't know if the series x and s will last as long. 

Anyway, this isn't about when we can expect a new Xbox console, but what the name could end up being. The Xbox brand has had a ton of weird console names. From the 360, to the Xbox One, to the Series X and S. There's no clear idea of what the next console could be named. Could it be a new "Series something", or maybe they'll go back to basics and just call it Xbox like I had hoped they would before the Xbone came out. 

What do you think a new Xbox console could be called?

There's literally no telling. Microsoft does the goofiest shit when naming their Xbox's to the point that it's impossible to know until the damn thing hits the frickin market. It could be the Xbox Spider. Or Xbox 45. Maybe Xbox Pistol. Or even Xbox Cherry Pie. Who the hell knows what they'll come up with.

It's pretty hard to think about what Microsoft is going to name the next Xbox console, but will they even actually come out with a new one next generation? They already have the weakest sales, their PC Game Pass is probably going to be the thing that kills their console market so they'll probably eventually stick to being a software developer like what happened with Atari and Sega. Many people already just use PC Game Pass to get access to the Xbox titles they want to play so they don't feel the need to buy a Xbox Series X. However if they actually do come out with a new console, it's no telling what they'll call it. We got the Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One (for all in one even though it was confusing, still not as bad as Nintendo going with the Wii U after the Wii), and now Series X/S. Their naming scheme isn't as straightforward as Sony lol.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, Ravenfreak said:

It's pretty hard to think about what Microsoft is going to name the next Xbox console, but will they even actually come out with a new one next generation? They already have the weakest sales, their PC Game Pass is probably going to be the thing that kills their console market so they'll probably eventually stick to being a software developer like what happened with Atari and Sega. Many people already just use PC Game Pass to get access to the Xbox titles they want to play so they don't feel the need to buy a Xbox Series X. However if they actually do come out with a new console, it's no telling what they'll call it. We got the Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One (for all in one even though it was confusing, still not as bad as Nintendo going with the Wii U after the Wii), and now Series X/S. Their naming scheme isn't as straightforward as Sony lol.

Xbox has it's dedicated fan base just like PlayStation and Nintendo. And just like PlayStation and Nintendo, that fan base is huge. So they're not going to be leaving the console market anytime soon. They're one of the Big 3. Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox completely dominate the market, and none of them are going anywhere anytime soon. There are former and smaller devs out there, but unless lightning strikes, they will never be in the market competing with the Big 3. Sega consoles failed. Atari couldn't keep up. I don't even know what they're doing now. I think they're making games, but I honestly have no clue.

Also, Nintendo and PlayStation need Xbox on the market. They need another competitor, or there could end up being a monopoly, on the virtually nonexistent chance that 2 of the Big 3 fail. Monopolies are illegal here in the states. I don't know if it's like that worldwide, but I wouldn't be surprised. Bill Gates was forced by the government to bail out Mac, or he would have had a monopoly.