Jump to content
Register Now
Sign in to follow this  
kingpotato

Fallout 76 and Anthem are not that bad

Recommended Posts

Today I had the opportunity to play Fallout 76 and Anthem and I have to say they are not bad games but they do fail on their main objective. The gameplay on their own have a lot of issues and they both feel like unpolished games that still need a lot of patches, I'm not going to mention all their issues because it has been discussed many times.The problem is the expectation for the games from both the fans and the developers. If you are a fan of Bethesda games and Bioware you will know that they have a history of incredible single player franchises, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect and Dragon Age series respectively, so we where all expecting that same single player experience from these games but that was our mistake, It is very hard to translate a single player experience with excellent narrative to a multiplayer, this was also the mistake of the developers for thinking they could do it and and also advertise the games as such. Both games where destined to fail because they could not recreate that single player experience that we are accustomed at from Bethesda and Bioware on a Multiplayer platform. 

Do you agree or do you have a different opinion as to why these games failed ?

Edited by kingpotato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fallout 76 I gave a fairly positive review but I just haven't really felt like playing it much lately even if I've enjoyed it despite how much of a mess it is.

Anthem on the other hand I freaking love and my opinion of it is pretty much diametrically opposed to the majority's. I'm seriously addicted to it and have loved every second I've played of it. Is it without its flaws though? Hell no and I do plan to point those out in my eventual review of it. But it's definitely on my top 10 games of 2019 list so far.

Edited by Alyxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Today I had the opportunity to play Fallout 76 and Anthem and I have to say they are not bad games but they do fail on their main objective. The gameplay on their own have a lot of issues and they both feel like unpolished games that still need a lot of patches, I'm not going to mention all their issues because it has been discussed many times.The problem is the expectation for the games from both the fans and the developers. If you are a fan of Bethesda games and Bioware you will know that they have a history of incredible single player franchises, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect and Dragon Age series respectively, so we where all expecting that same single player experience from these games but that was our mistake, It is very hard to translate a single player experience with excellent narrative to a multiplayer, this was also the mistake of the developers for thinking they could do it and and also advertise the games as such. Both games where destined to fail because they could not recreate that single player experience that we are accustomed at from Bethesda and Bioware on a Multiplayer platform. 

Do you agree or do you have a different opinion as to why these games failed ?

Though I've not had an opportunity to play Anthem yet, I do agree with you. Both games are indeed online-centric games from acclaimed single player-focused teams. It's interesting because I think that making an online game is VERY different to making a single player game and I think that both Fallout 76 and Anthem will unfortunately suffer polish-wise as a result. The good thing is that games like these can be updated over time. I seriously love Fallout 76. It's flawed but easily one of the highlights of last year for me from an adventure/RPG standpoint. I know I'm in the minority with that feeling, but I'm a sucker for Bethesda's RPGs. I think some gamers have been waiting like a monkey on their back to do something wrong and an online Fallout game was the time to strike. On the other hand, Bethesda haven't done much in placating them as they've made a shit ton of mistakes, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think anthem is being criticized for no reason. i loved the gameplay of anthem. I think it has potential. I am sure that more and more such high graphics game get in the market. I prefer having a strong story though something anthem like games lack. But fall out 76 is not worth it. I have seen the gameplay over and over and trying to decide if it's worth it. unless you played previous fall out games, it's not worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think anthem is being criticized for no reason. i loved the gameplay of anthem. I think it has potential. I am sure that more and more such high graphics game get in the market. I prefer having a strong story though something anthem like games lack. But fall out 76 is not worth it. I have seen the gameplay over and over and trying to decide if it's worth it. unless you played previous fall out games, it's not worth it. 

Anthem is WAY WAY better than Fallout 76 and it kinda pisses me off when people compare them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

@kingpotato what you say here makes a lot of sense. Are you still playing these two games? If so, have you enjoyed them more with time or less?

I dont own the games and I havent played them since, I dont think I will play them again to be honest 😆 It was at a friend's house he has the games on his PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I dont own the games and I havent played them since, I dont think I will play them again to be honest 😆 It was at a friend's house he has the games on his PC.

What was your fallout 76 experience like more specifically? what did you do in the game and what parts did you enjoy and not enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

What was your fallout 76 experience like more specifically? what did you do in the game and what parts did you enjoy and not enjoy

Exploration of course is what I enjoyed the most,it plays a lot like Fallout 4, but its very lonely and that was my problem, its supposed to be an MMO but I never encountered another player, I only played it for about 40 minutes I guess but that was enough to understand that encounters are not that common. Everything else was fine but its not a game that I would recomend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 12:59 PM, kingpotato said:

Exploration of course is what I enjoyed the most,it plays a lot like Fallout 4, but its very lonely and that was my problem, its supposed to be an MMO but I never encountered another player, I only played it for about 40 minutes I guess but that was enough to understand that encounters are not that common. Everything else was fine but its not a game that I would recomend. 

I was very confused by the marketing for the game as to whether it was going to be multiplayer or single player (they made it sound like it would be "both"). hahah i wonder if that was why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

I was very confused by the marketing for the game as to whether it was going to be multiplayer or single player (they made it sound like it would be "both"). hahah i wonder if that was why. 

Yeah its like the game tried to be both but failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 9:59 PM, kingpotato said:

Exploration of course is what I enjoyed the most,it plays a lot like Fallout 4, but its very lonely and that was my problem, its supposed to be an MMO but I never encountered another player, I only played it for about 40 minutes I guess but that was enough to understand that encounters are not that common. Everything else was fine but its not a game that I would recomend. 

Yeah, much like Anthem it really is a game you need friends to explore with. I am lucky enough that I have friends who play games with me and we typically make private lobbies so that strangers won't disturb us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Yeah, much like Anthem it really is a game you need friends to explore with. I am lucky enough that I have friends who play games with me and we typically make private lobbies so that strangers won't disturb us.

Me to devs everywhere: "Stop making multiplayer, co-op games all the time, i am a loner with no friends!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

Me to devs everywhere: "Stop making multiplayer, co-op games all the time, i am a loner with no friends!"

In that case I recommend checking out Rage 2. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...