Register Now
StaceyPowers

Lovecraft games?

I notice that HP Lovecraft stuff is … everywhere, these days, especially in gaming. It’s a bit odd for me since I still remember back in high school when I was reading his stories and like two other people even knew what I was talking about if I mentioned anything from his universe. Apparently his work entered the public domain in 2008, so that’s probably why he’s (finally) become a household name.

What Lovecraft-themed games do people here recommend, whether recent or older, on any platform? I’d particularly like suggestions from folks who have read his stories.

Call of cthulu was definitely medium average type game. It had more of movie like scenario than gaming like experience. I'd say that there are some 2D games too on lovecraft line which I checked out on steam. However there isnt anything bigger or scarier title out there in the market. 

I love HP Lovecraft’s writing. Only played one game that is directly based on Lovecraft. Here’s my review of it: Call Of Cthulhu (2018) https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/call-of-cthulhu-review/

I know a lot of other games are influenced by Lovecraft, like Darkest Dungeon (which is amazing), though.

Edited by DylanC

Amnesia: The Dark Descent also falls into the H P lovecrafts genre. I'd say there are some other old games which could be in the Lovecrafts genre like "Alone in the dark". But often lot of things in it does make me feel it gets more darker than lovecraft. 

2 hours ago, skyfire said:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent also falls into the H P lovecrafts genre. I'd say there are some other old games which could be in the Lovecrafts genre like "Alone in the dark". But often lot of things in it does make me feel it gets more darker than lovecraft. 

I'm sorry but I don't recall Amnesia ever being classified as a Lovecraftian video game. Or is it because it deals with the unknown and sanity?

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

I havent played any of those games but as far as I know they are not related to any of the Lovecraft stories.

9 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I havent played any of those games but as far as I know they are not related to any of the Lovecraft stories.

Yes they are not. But Amnesia has the vibe like Call of Cuthulu. Only difference being COC has cult like feel to it which amnesia doesn't have. But the vibe that you get from the COC can be felt in the amnesia as well.