Register Now
StaceyPowers

Why do some people think Bioshock Infinite isn't really a "Bioshock" Game?

I think it felt remarkably like Bioshock while also having many differences, and this was very well done (and I also love Bioshock 2, unlike some).

The basics of Bioshock are an unreal city founded on some ideological premise, social struggle and it all going to hell in an antiutopia. In Bioshock, you have an underwater city founded on the principles of cutthroat capitalism and self-interest. The ruler goes delusional as he believes most people to be "parasites" against his ideology, and things go completely to hell in a civil war.

3 minutes ago, Empire said:

I think it felt remarkably like Bioshock while also having many differences, and this was very well done (and I also love Bioshock 2, unlike some).

The basics of Bioshock are an unreal city founded on some ideological premise, social struggle and it all going to hell in an antiutopia. In Bioshock, you have an underwater city founded on the principles of cutthroat capitalism and self-interest. The ruler goes delusional as he believes most people to be "parasites" against his ideology, and things go completely to hell in a civil war.

I must admit I haven't played the first two Bioshock games, but if that's the pattern and overall theme, then Bioshock Infinite fits the pattern pretty well as far as I can see.

I think the big thing people find a difference in, is the setting, otherwise it's mostly Bioshock, but just in a different setting. Say the first couple games, they took place in Rapture correct? I only played a bit of 1, but it was an underworld city that you could go through. But with Infinite, it's high up in the sky, which is a completely different setting compared to the earlier games, but it still has the same storylines, gameplay and more that makes it a Bioshock game. At least from what I've seen and played. 

I tried my hand at infinite, but I couldn't get into it for long. It just wasn't for me. 

BioShock infinite seems like a more detailed advancement of BioShock and because the story so well eludes the original story line of BioShock and makes a completely different twist to the game, I think this is among the reasons why people who have played both games think they aren't similar or maybe related.