Register Now
StaceyPowers

What video games wouldn’t be as good if they were made today?

Are there any classic games that are already in existence that you aren't really interested or a fan of because they are not as good as you deemed them to be? Personally, I think the ones already in existence are good and till I get to see ones that doesn't meet expectations, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn. 

I'm not sure if I'm answering the question correctly but I think it will be Doom or Golden eye 007 64. The reason why these two games are very popular even today is because they innovated in a time when First person shooters where almost none existing, they where the first of their kind and they excel at doing so . But nowadays there are FPS games everywhere so if these two games where to come out today they will most likely pass unnoticed.

Looking at your profile picture and myself being a fan of it, I don't think Quake III Arena would be as popular now as it was back then. It would have a niche audience, that's for sure, but wouldn't be popular as much, which Quake Champions pretty much confirms.

There's a lot of early system games that wouldn't have the audience they once had when they originally came out. One that I think wouldn't have the same audience would be Contra. It was a great game in the 80's, with a slight Vietnam war feel to it. Or maybe that part was just me. But today even South Park is fighting aliens. And the war games like Socom, and CoD would surpass Contra in such a great way, that it would most likely flop completely.

Then there are games like Dig Dug, Galaga, Q*Bert, and Marble Madness that kids would look at today and flip out asking "WTF is this shit?!" They were mind blowing then. They would be mind blowing today, but in the opposite direction.

Edited by The Blackangel