Register Now
StaceyPowers

Portrayals of war in video games

What video games have the best and the worst portrayals of war? I doubt most of the members of this forum have been in a war, so obviously we’re guessing.

I’ve heard many people mention Spec Ops: The Line. I haven’t played it yet, but it sounds amazing.

I think wars and the violence does have effect on gamers. Considering the battle royale game format has created more rehab like situations among the gamers. I think that can be pretty bad situation if you ask me. I play those games when I can handle them which is not always. 

17 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Personally I can't play those kind of games. My time in the Marines has my emotional capability to handle that kind of thing so damaged, that it's at absolute zero. I can't even handle mere references in cartoons.

I hadn't even thought about how video game portrayals of war and PTSD might interact. 

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Medal Of Honor games had some of the most epic war scenes I can remember. Call Of Duty 4 also did a good job at portraying war in terms of the effect on the environment among other things.

whatever happened to Medal of Honor, I remember that back in the PS2 era we used to discuss which one was better if COD or MOH.

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

I think age of empires 2 the old game which has kings expansion. That has the best portrayls of the war. They have some really good stories of war and the peace and love and stuff. It was worth playing for that. 

Yes is a good portrayal of war but its definitely not accurate 😂 I mean I'm very sure there wasnt an AC Cobra with machine guns running around middle age Europe 🤣

Haha. By that logic the Contra is definitely not a war scenario game where Chinese game maker makes US soldier fighting  against Russian enemy. I can't imagine things people can imagine for the sake of game. XD

On 6/21/2019 at 2:12 AM, kingpotato said:

Yes is a good portrayal of war but its definitely not accurate 😂 I mean I'm very sure there wasnt an AC Cobra with machine guns running around middle age Europe 🤣

I also remembered that cheat code as well - I remember spawning the first one and commenting to myself "couldn't they have made it some kind of futuristic vehicle with weapons? why a cobra with machine guns?" It was so ridiculously out of place in-game but it looks so hilarious.

There’s a cheat in AOE3 that will have one of two effects on you. It will either make you laugh hysterically, or cause you brain damage because you’re sitting there thinking “WHAT THE UNHOLY FUCK?”

It’s the bouncing George Washington bust.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:04 PM, kingpotato said:

Call of Duty 3 and Modern warfare (cod 4) have been one of the best portrayals of a movie about war , I have never been on the army or war so for me those games looked like most of the war movies I have seen.

The thing with that, is that movies and games portray war in a glorified way. They don't show what is actually happening on the front lines. They don't show what the soldiers go through during, and after their time is up. The emotional strain on a soldier, lasts for the rest of their life. Some are so damaged they spend the rest of their life doped up. Many end up homeless because they can no longer hold down a job. That's my main reason for absolutely despising those kind of games.

8 hours ago, skyfire said:

Anyone checked mobile game named Lord's Mobile. The tiny chiby archers and the soldiers are fun to watch. I mean it's funny and sometimes can be serious too. 

I used to be an avid player but the monetization scheme of the game is what drove me away from it.