Register Now
StaceyPowers

What childhood video game dreams have come true for you?

There are probably things most of us miss from our childhood days of gaming, but there are likely things you wanted then that didn’t exist which do now. Did any of your childhood gaming dreams come true?

For me, I wanted open world games with a focus on exploration before there was a name for them. I didn’t really think through this wish or what form it could take, but I remember that you could give me any type of game to play, whether it was an FPS game or a golf game, and I’d immediately start pushing to the edges of the map and trying to see how far I could go before I’d hit the edge. So game like Skyrim and Fallout are my childhood gaming dream come true.

Aside from that, I remember I thought it’d be cool to work in the industry in some capacity. And I’ve ended up having the privilege of writing in the field, so I am super happy about that. It’s a rare thread of continuity in a life that has largely not shaped up like anything I pictured as a kid.

The only dream/fantasy that I had as a child was my father dying. Thankfully, he died just over 19 years ago. All I could think at the time was that it was finally over. No more beatings. No more being called a pussy in front of everyone he could find that would hear it. No more having to sleep with a loaded rifle in my hands. I'm still extremely high strung and anxious. I'm paranoid, and jumpy as hell. To this day I hate men. I've been in counseling, but the counselor turned out to be....lets just say unqualified. Since her, I've been soured on counselors. And that was about 5 years ago that I stopped seeing her.

Owning a Sega Mega Drive. I dreamed of it all the time as a kid since we only had a SNES. Objectively we obviously had the superior console but I still find the Mega Drive and its different sound, graphics and game library quite alluring since it's something I never experienced growing up.

2 hours ago, Alyxx said:

Owning a Sega Mega Drive. I dreamed of it all the time as a kid since we only had a SNES. Objectively we obviously had the superior console but I still find the Mega Drive and its different sound, graphics and game library quite alluring since it's something I never experienced growing up.

What year did you get a Mega Drive?