Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes for good or bad AI in video games?

On 11/7/2019 at 12:56 AM, The Blackangel said:

Good AI makes enemies completely unpredictable. If the only thing you can predict about it is its physical appearance, then you have good AI.

Once enemies are 100% predictable, then the game from onset is going to be a very boring game because when you already know what they would do, they are an easy beat. 

20 hours ago, Heatman said:

Once enemies are 100% predictable, then the game from onset is going to be a very boring game because when you already know what they would do, they are an easy beat. 

The only exception I would have is turn based games, like FF8. The enemies do the same things in every fight. So that kind of game is an exception. But open world games if the enemy is completely predictable in every way, then it gets really boring.

Hell in RDR2 I've had animals attack me, and I'm not talking about carnivores. Muskrats bite. Elk run you down. Pronghorn and whitetail deer will run your ass over as well. The chance of that happening is another kind of AI that makes the game so much better.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, The Blackangel said:

The only exception I would have is turn based games, like FF8. The enemies do the same things in every fight. So that kind of game is an exception. But open world games if the enemy is completely predictable in every way, then it gets really boring.

Hell in RDR2 I've had animals attack me, and I'm not talking about carnivores. Muskrats bite. Elk run you down. Pronghorn and whitetail deer will run your ass over as well. The chance of that happening is another kind of AI that makes the game so much better.

Yeah, I very much agree with you on this. Open world games comes with a lot of unpredictable outcome that makes it be an open world game in general. 

17 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, I very much agree with you on this. Open world games comes with a lot of unpredictable outcome that makes it be an open world game in general. 

That's the nature of these games. Open world games are totally random, and anything can happen at anytime. That randomness makes such games more fun. 😊

A game having moderate difficulty level NPCs are good for playing. Normally, AI shouldn't be too hard to handle.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, The Blackangel said:

CIA - Completely Idiotic Assholes

FBI - Fuckwads Blew It

ATF - Ahhhhh..... THE FUCK???

NSA - National Shithead ASSociation

POTUS - We're screwed.

Are you seriously kidding me? This is by far the most hilarious thing I have seen online today. It's my internet breaker for today 😂

On 8/21/2021 at 10:09 AM, The Blackangel said:

I agree - I much prefer when the AI package makes the enemy unpredictable as hell. It makes the experience far more immersive and creates some pretty funny moments.

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I agree - I much prefer when the AI package makes the enemy unpredictable as hell. It makes the experience far more immersive and creates some pretty funny moments.

Once the enemy does the same thing over and over again without any sense of different patterns, it becomes a boring fight session because it's going to predictable and way too easy.