Register Now
StaceyPowers

Religion in video games

I was looking at @Shagger's post here with a game where you play as Jesus, and some responses mentioning not being a fan of religious games or religion.

Has anyone played any games that you thought did a good job handling religion as a topic?

I can think of two examples. I have (thus far, anyway) liked Dragon Age’s handling of religion. The Chantry really bothers me as an organized religion. I do suspect I am supposed to lean toward their side, but the games haven’t shoved me hard in that direction, and do make it clear that it is a very flawed political entity. I’ve been able to play with an anti-Chantry attitude with no problems.

The other example I can list is BioShock Infinite. Infinite is not a religious game (though you could play it as one, if you weren't fundamentalist in your beliefs), and I suspect (but don’t know) that Ken Levine isn’t religious at all. But the game handles religion very, very well IMO. Organized religion is represented very negatively, and the game makes a serious critique on belief systems that involve casting off personality responsibility in return for instant salvation. At the same time, baptism imagery is woven through the story as an image of redemption, but in this case, redemption through claiming personal responsibility instead of abdicating it. As for the use of “May the Circle Be Unbroken,” I weep whenever I hear it.

Has anyone else found examples of games that approach religion in a way you found compelling?

Edited by StaceyPowers

4 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

@StaceyPowers You know my religious beliefs. The games that cover that would be God Of War. They portray it extremely well. The Gods and lesser deities are portrayed almost perfectly. Even Charon is fairly well portrayed.

I always wondered if God of War would pass muster with a believer. Now I am excited to play them.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, StaceyPowers said:

...mentioning not being a fan of religious games or religion.

Oh dear. I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes. Religion is always a touchy subject. And I'm always afraid of mentioning my atheism because of the stigma and not wanting to hurt any feelings.

The only religion in games I've come across is the Norse type religion of the Stormcloaks in Skyrim. I thought that worked well and I enjoyed it. 

Edited by LadyDay

7 hours ago, LadyDay said:

Oh dear. I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes. Religion is always a touchy subject. And I'm always afraid of mentioning my atheism because of the stigma and not wanting to hurt any feelings.

The only religion in games I've come across is the Norse type religion of the Stormcloaks in Skyrim. I thought that worked well and I enjoyed it. 

If someone gets all butt hurt about you being an Atheist, then fuck them. There's nothing wrong with Atheism. Shank them and walk on.

2 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

If someone gets all butt hurt about you being an Atheist, then fuck them. There's nothing wrong with Atheism. Shank them and walk on.

Thanks 🙂 You're right! On my to do list is becoming less scared of people. Shanking might be a bit too much, but yelling "fuck you" and walking off might be achievable. 😄 My family are all fundamentalist Christians, so I'm used to walking on eggshells. Fortunately I've got my boyfriend and friends, who are all just as godless as me. 

When it comes to religion in games, I think it's good when it's a reasonable part of the story. Preferably a made up religion. It looks like this Jesus game doesn't just use it as a part of it's universe, it preaches Christianity to the kids who play it (I'm focusing on the young gamers, who are more impressionable than adults). Children should learn about religion, all religions, not just one, and they shouldn't be preached to. I think fantasy religions in games, like the religion of the Stormcloaks in Skyrim, teaches kids about religion as part of humanity, and I think that's positive. 

When religion affects the story, then it can be useful to help explain things. For example, Zelda OoT. The 3 Goddesses creating everything, and the Deku Tree being the patron deity of the Kokiri. Those are both important elements to the story. And they are religious beliefs among the Hylia and Kokiri peoples.

10 hours ago, LadyDay said:

I don't think you stepped on any toes? Great example, too! I forgot about the whole Talos issue in Skyrim. On the whole, I sided Imperial, but that was the one point where I completely empathized with the Stormcloaks. 

On 12/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I don't think you stepped on any toes? Great example, too! I forgot about the whole Talos issue in Skyrim. On the whole, I sided Imperial, but that was the one point where I completely empathized with the Stormcloaks. 

Good. 🙂 

Yes, that's one of the brilliant, and infuriating, things in Skyrim. There's no obvious good or bad side to side with.