Register Now
StaceyPowers

Self-imposed challenges

@Shagger was talking about self-imposed challenges in video games, i.e. (Shagger’s example) trying to beat TLOU using nothing other than bricks and bottles. I can’t imagine trying to do that, lol. My current self-imposed challenge is to play my new Skyrim character doing nothing but destruction magic and conjuration, no weapons. It’d be a lot harder without the conjuration, but conjuration is just too fun for me to give up.

What self-imposed challenges have you taken on in video games? Which were you successful with? Were there any you gave up on? Which do you think you might try in the future?

I played Castlevania SOTN without equipping ANYTHING, unless it was required for the game. Things like the Holy Glasses and the Gold and Silver rings. Other than that, I never equipped a helm, armor, cape, weapon, or anything else. It was hard as hell to get anywhere, but it was also a lot of fun. I've seen videos on YouTube of people doing challenges like a run through of Zelda OoT without ever collecting a single rupee. I never tried that, because it's way out of my skill zone. There was another game, I don't remember what it was, that I played and the only way I would travel was back flips. If I screwed up I would turn around and back flip to where I was and start back flipping again. It was a side scrolling game, I just don't remember what the name was. Hell I don't even remember the system it was on. I do goofy shit like that often.

Ive tried going full mage on Skyrim as well, no armor nor weapon , only magic robes and if you are not leveled up properly in magic it will be a nightmare. I've also tried going sniper only on some FPS games since Im pretty bad at being a sniper , and also I have tried getting through the 5 wanted stars in gta with bombs only

I beat Mega Man 2 buster-only, insofar as that's possible, anyways; the final boss can't be beaten with the Mega Buster, as it and every Special Weapon except the Bubble Lead heals it. This is actually a somewhat established practice among Mega Man players; Mega Man X introduces armors for that series' main protagonist, Mega Man X, so some players of that series try beating it without picking up any parts, or even using the dash ability, while still going buster-only. It's actually kind of insane. 😂

I play a lot of strategy games, too, and in StarCraft II's co-op mode, sometimes I go out of my way to do some weird stuff, some of which really shouldn't work, but somehow does anyway. Stuff like going mass Colossi as any Protoss commander who has that unit in their arsenal, or making use of hyper aggressive static defense as Karax because he can warp in pylons and turrets instantly. (at least after level... 10, I think? I dunno, I've been max level with him for a while now) As a player who mains Fenix, whose hero unit is a top-bar power, on higher difficulties, I try to see how much progress I can make without having to drop Fenix on the field, instead preferring to do everything with my army alone.

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

If you want difficulty, try using Search Snake through an entire run in Mega Man 3. That weapon is all but useless.

Haha! True. Though I think a run like that might be doomed to fail unless a player cheats to give themselves infinite weapon energy. I don't think that could even be pulled off with the OP Metal Blade from Mega Man 2; especially since some bosses, like Quick Man and the aforementioned final boss, are either completely immune to it or are healed by it.