Register Now
kingpotato

Urban Legends in Videogames

Remember the old legend that the music in Lavender Town in Pokemon red & blue could make you suicidal ? For those who dont know the legend , The game was released in first in Japan, it was associated with an increase of suicide rates among children , it was said that the game caused nausea, headaches, hallucinations and ultimately suicide and that the direct cause of all this was the song from Lavender Town the resting place of dead Pokemon, supposedly the song was changed before the game was shipped overseas, you can listen to the original song on link below.

Anybody else knows of a good Urban legend regarding videogames ?

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

The Polybius story is always a classic in video game urban legends. AVGN did an episode on it a couple of years ago. This well worth watch, James Rolf is just hilarious.

I played a game in an arcade that was called Polybius. I'm not saying it was the legendary Polybius. We all know it wasn't. But they shared the same name. I don't remember much about it (it was after all about 25 years ago) but it was ok enough that I played it more than once. I think that was just because it was better than other games while I was waiting for the one I wanted to open up. But that was when one play on any game as a quarter.

On 12/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, The Blackangel said:

I played a game in an arcade that was called Polybius. I'm not saying it was the legendary Polybius. We all know it wasn't. But they shared the same name. I don't remember much about it (it was after all about 25 years ago) but it was ok enough that I played it more than once. I think that was just because it was better than other games while I was waiting for the one I wanted to open up. But that was when one play on any game as a quarter.

I think thats what started the whole legend, many people remembered a game called Polybius, but no one was sure if it was the same in the legend.

On 12/31/2019 at 7:42 AM, The Blackangel said:

I think it's a bit of a Mandela Affect thing. Peoples memories are getting crossed with elements from 3 or 4 different games, and now there's the legendary Polybius. Either way, I still find the story entertaining.

Yep, it reminds me the urban legend in GTA San andreas about bigfoot, every kid that I knew who played the game confirmed that they had seen Big foot or knew about someone who did, in the early youtube days there wasnt many videos about it so most of them only helped to spread the legend.