Register Now
Sign in to follow this  
The Blackangel

Imperial Or Metric?

The US is one of only 3 countries in the world that still uses the imperial system. The other two being Myanmar and Liberia. In 1975 President Ford tried to switch the US to using the metric system, but it didn't take. I personally can't follow metric very well, but like many of you it's simply because I grew up under the imperial system. But my reason for this post, is I want to know what people think on whether or not the US should again try to switch to metric? I feel like it's time to join the rest of the world. 3 countries out of how many hundreds of countries? I think it would make international trade much simpler, and could help American economies in a substantial way. Sure it would be difficult at first to figure out how tall I am. I don't have a clue what 6'4" is in centimeters. And don't even get me started on that whole stones thing when talking about weight. But I truly think it's time to move on, and join the rest of the world.

Thoughts?

As a child, growing up, my school and college tutors taught me Metric. Some of the older generations in England still us imperial and do not fully understand the other system. Converting between the two is made a lot easier with the help of the internet.

I was brought up on metric and thank fuck!  Metric is easy to understand and work with because it's decimal every time.  Imperial is so confusing and cumbersome because it's so inconsistent.  Sometimes to the base 8, sometimes 10, sometimes 12, sometimes 16... It's like it was designed to make every little thing just a little bit more difficult than it need be.  If I were to ask "how many metres are in a marathon when it's 42 kilometers” it's easy, 42,000m becuase all you're doing is moving the decimal point.   Even if you were to go further into cm (4,200,0000cm) and mm (42,000,000mm) it's still simple. You try to do the conversion for the same 26 miles into feet, then inches, then 8th's of an inch, then 16th's of and you'd have a headache for a week!

If that example is too unrealistic then here's a more real world example of how annoying imperial measurements can be.  You go into a butcher's shop in the UK to buy some meat and you tell the butcher "5 pounds of mince", does that mean 5lbs in weight or £5 in currency worth since they are both pronounced "pounds"?  This matters because there is a HUGE difference between the two.

I remember having a lot of adults telling me when i was in school that "exams must be much easier now".  I used to take offence to that but I've since realised it's true and it's because my generation didn't have to deal with this bullshit!

As far as I'm concerned imperial measurements should only be used for clocks, pizzas, draft beers and that is it.  Yeah as much as I hate the imperial system even I'm not gonna order a 30cm pepperoni and a 500ml lager!  Lol!

Edited by Crazycrab

26 miles is easy. A mile is 5,280 feet. A foot is 12 inches, a yard is 36 inches and a meter is 39 inches.

26 x 5,280 = 137,280

It’s the same formula to find inches.

I guess when it’s what you’re raised on it makes more sense to you. But I still think the US should stop living in the past, ditch the caraway seeds, and start using the metric system.