Register Now
StaceyPowers

Would I like Fallout 4?

I am thinking about purchasing Fallout 4 once I get a PS5, since I expect it will be backwards compatible, and I have not yet had a chance to play it. I love Fallout 3 and love Fallout NV even more, but I have heard a lot of people say Fallout 4 is not as good as either. For those who have played all three, is Fallout 4 worth it?

@DylanC

I'd say the gameplay, especially the shooting mechanics, are a huge improvement over previous Fallout games. The protagonist is now fully voiced, which is a nice touch. I also like the new crafting and power armour mechanics as well, more in depth and overall more interesting to use. The story is also decent, not as good as NV, but better that Fallout 3.

Whare is game's weakness? Basically, in the overall RPG experience itself. It's not easy to get the best out of the leveling system and both the dialogue and branching choices feel more limited than in previous games with some dialogue options not changing anything. The settlement feature was also nice idea, but to be honest it wasn't well executed, and I can only imagine that it's even worse on console. It's frustrating, pestering and difficult to use.

It's a mixed bag, but if you're willing to up with a slightly more inferior RPG experience in exchange for better action gameplay, you should enjoy it.

I think where Fallout4 really shines are the sidequests and companion quests. The main storyline wasn't that interesting or even well executed, but exploration is pretty rewarding and taking on camps for loot.

Shooting mechanics are on a whole new level compared to  F3 and NV, this can actually be played as an FPS. For me that's a good thing, you have to decide if you like that or not. And it's the least gamebryo game of bethesda. Meaning the shortcomings of the engine are not as pronounced.

The settlement building bit is far too tedious for me, and without mods what you can build is pretty limited. I'd not play this game without mods. Or any bethesda game for that matter.

Like others have mentioned, Fallout 4 is a bit of a mixed bag. Shooting mechanics are tighter (I don’t really like how VATS just slows down time rather than stopping it completely, though) and there’s a lot to do and explore.

The downside is the writing isn’t quite as memorable as its predecessors. It’s still a lot of fun, though, and I’d still recommend it to fans of the series.

And, yeah, like m76 mentioned, I found the building mechanics a wee bit too tedious for my tastes, but it could hook you in depending on how much you get into it. Thankfully, the building isn’t totally mandatory, for the most part.