Register Now
StaceyPowers

What do you look for in an MMO?

For those here who play MMOs, what do you look for when deciding whether to join an MMO? I would say for me, the most important features are community and interaction, enforced or highly encouraged RP, a flexible class system, and an organic player-driven direction to how events unfold. I also don’t like games where factions and locations are too closed-off and black and white.

I'm not gonna get into a huge list because there will be a ton of those. The next thing that will make me interested in another MMO is risk. They need to recreate the old days of Ultima Online and DAOC where you weren't just going through prefabricated situations like cattle for the exact same items and doing everything the same in this safe little bubble. These unforgiving worlds foster tight communities because they have to and that makes things so much more deep and every moment in the game feel that much more significant. Without risk, there are only shallow rewards. MMO's and many online games in general have kind of lost that and I believe it's because they want to cater to everyone including Little Jimmy 12 Year old who will cry and quit because he had to pay for a mistake or couldn't handle a cut-throat world.

If you think about it, WoWs gameplay is nothing unique or different, since Vanilla it has evolved but it's nothing that special, mainly just hotkey clicking.

However the community it's built is better than any other mmo, I knew people who played it, was in a good guild etc. It's also the reason so many mmos are failing now, they forget that the most important thing about an mmo is in the title, Massive Multiplayer Online whether it's a shooter, racer or RPG, the MMO portion never changes.

Character. You need to able to customize them and also they need some sort of the customize feature at any point of the game.

Graphics. I crave for better graphics for MMO. We are in 2021 in few days. 

If it's story trail based MMO, or arena level, there needs to be some sort of tasks that can give edge in battle?

As a long time MMO fan, my criteria for a proper MMO are as follows:

1. Nearly limitless character customization options so that the characters can be literally what you envisioned.
  2. The graphics has to be pretty good - Yes, if I'm going to be spending a significant amount of time playing a game, it needs to look polished.
  3. Active fanbase - nobody wants to play a dead MMO where you interact with another player once or twice a day. You can pull all kinds of pranks online (as I used to do with my old pals in Age of Wushu. We were fiercely hunted because of our antics). 
  4. Somewhat friendly players (they don't have to be super friendly. Just don't be douchebags). Also, I like when the other players aren't easily offended by the slightest thing. I mean, nobody likes a snowflake.
  5. Microtransactions kept to a minimum. (This goes without saying.)

On 12/4/2020 at 7:56 PM, skyfire said:

Graphics. I crave for better graphics for MMO. We are in 2021 in few days. 

Personally, this is a must for me in MMO. if it lacks, I'm definitely not going to find it interesting to commit myself deep in it.