Register Now
killamch89

Augmented Reality In Gaming

I was having a conversation with one of my former guildmates from Champions Online and the topic of Augmented Reality came up. We both thought that Augmented Reality wasn't going to be as integral as Virtual Reality in gaming and was simply riding the wave of success VR achieved. What are your thoughts on this?

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I was having a conversation with one of my former guildmates from Champions Online and the topic of Augmented Reality came up. We both thought that Augmented Reality wasn't going to be as integral as Virtual Reality in gaming and was simply riding the wave of success VR achieved. What are your thoughts on this?

It's inevitable that it's the next addition to VR. Isn't Microsoft making the Hololens? Which is an augmented reality headset? I remember it was a big thing with Minecraft a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything new from it in a while. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's inevitable that it's the next addition to VR. Isn't Microsoft making the Hololens? Which is an augmented reality headset? I remember it was a big thing with Minecraft a few years ago, but I haven't heard anything new from it in a while. 

That's kind of what I'm saying though. It's not being heavily pushed like VR is - one or two companies have implemented it and Microsoft is one of the few major companies we know trying to push this technology. Overall though, it's at a far more primitive stage than VR. 

That's pretty interesting; I've never heard of it before. What kind of game would they actually make out of it? What if they can add jump scares as you walk through your home or the woods while wearing a headset? Now that would be somethin!!! Other than that or maybe a sport, I think it would be limited. Unless they can have it more of a personalized game where you can go anywhere you want and take a video, whether at the nude beach or Rome, and integrate the feed into a game. But if you wanted 50 hours of gaming, you would need to record 50 hours of video. Or maybe my beak is flapping like a hungry duck. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:02 AM, killamch89 said:

Augmented Reality you say? What's that all about because this is actually my very first time of hearing about it. What's its connection to VR in video games? 

34 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Augmented Reality you say? What's that all about because this is actually my very first time of hearing about it. What's its connection to VR in video games? 

You've already encountered it - Pokemon Go is a somewhat primitive version of AR. It's used to bring virtual elements into the real world. VR is different in that you interact with a virtual space more immersively. Here's a video on AR:

and here's a video explaining Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality.

13 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

You've already encountered it - Pokemon Go is a somewhat primitive version of AR. It's used to bring virtual elements into the real world. VR is different in that you interact with a virtual space more immersively. Here's a video on AR:

and here's a video explaining Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality.

Ooh yeah, that's right. You're very correct because I have actually encountered it on more than one occasion and the YouTube video did good with making it very easy to recall and understand. 

4 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Ooh yeah, that's right. You're very correct because I have actually encountered it on more than one occasion and the YouTube video did good with making it very easy to recall and understand. 

Yeah - there's that Mario Kart game where you can basically set up gates in your own home and turn in into a Mario Kart track.

32 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah - there's that Mario Kart game where you can basically set up gates in your own home and turn in into a Mario Kart track.

Yeah - it's actually kind of fun with the game back then, although I moved on from it a lot quicker than I spent time with it. 

On 12/8/2020 at 5:32 AM, killamch89 said:

Well, I guess VR is not as successful as yet. People still are not going for it. Obviously it is a groundbreaking technological advancement, but needs more of fixes and upgrades. It is the future of gaming, no doubt on that. 

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

Well, I guess VR is not as successful as yet. People still are not going for it. Obviously it is a groundbreaking technological advancement, but needs more of fixes and upgrades. It is the future of gaming, no doubt on that. 

Yeah - they are still trying to get it perfect but also I think that even the cost of it together with them still upgrading it makes people not jump into it fully yet.