Register Now
killamch89

Modding Games

The other day me and @Kane99 had a conversation about Modding Xbox consoles and I mentioned that while I've never done that, I've modded games such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 4, GTA V among others. This because I do like to create unique experiences for myself and see how far I can go. Do you like modding games? If so, what do you like about it.

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

What exactly is modding in games? Is that something only for computer gaming?

Modding in games is basically adding modifications (created by you or others) to the original game by some kind of software to add content into it and create your own experiences. For instance, in modded Skyrim, you can create and add your own custom spells, perk trees, add enemies, add new lands - the possibilities are endless. While it can be done on consoles, the manufacturers usually forbid it and it's far more risky so it's mainly done in PC games.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

i don't think it's exclusive only for PC games, Back in my childhood, we had a lot of GTA SA modded clones pretty much everywhere sold for PS2

On 1/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, Shole said:

I love mods, and I love modding but I am not good at it. I used to make maps for Warcraft III if that counts?

That's a start! I was talking more along the lines of altering certain game mechanics within a game to create a whole new experience.

On 12/9/2020 at 9:50 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Games modding gives you a more robust game play based on what you want to have in your game. More like tapping into your gaming fantasy and making it real by adding modifications to the game you're playing. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Games modding gives you a more robust game play based on what you want to have in your game. More like tapping into your gaming fantasy and making it real by adding modifications to the game you're playing. 

Maybe fate is pushing me to PC gaming because I haven't had any luck with consoles. I would love to mod some of my favorite games if they have some. 

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Maybe fate is pushing me to PC gaming because I haven't had any luck with consoles. I would love to mod some of my favorite games if they have some. 

Modding on consoles is far more complicated barring the Xbox One and new platforms which have software that is compatible with PC. Also, you can push it quite as far with consoles as with PC which has little to no limit.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Modding on consoles is far more complicated barring the Xbox One and new platforms which have software that is compatible with PC. Also, you can push it quite as far with consoles as with PC which has little to no limit.

I'm definitely keeping PC in mind now. I'll start reading up on what all is out there. Cause I don't know squat. 

13 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I'm definitely keeping PC in mind now. I'll start reading up on what all is out there. Cause I don't know squat. 

Don't worry, I started out like that 10 years ago but here I am! Just watch some videos from LinusTechTips, Bitwit and JayTwoCents on Youtube because those guys have extremely detailed videos about getting into PC gaming including how to build one. If you plan to build one, it's going to be pretty hard to get your hands on a graphics card and if you do, their prices have skyrocketed since last year due to Crypto. At this time, as much as it pains me to say it, it's more affordable to go with a pre-built machine and although they do cost quite a bit, they're cheaper than having to buy the parts individually especially in the last year.

17 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

PC gaming is far more versatile than any other gaming platform. If you ever get hooked up to it, I'm sure you will never let go.