Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Layers of Fear

I'm not into horror games as such and I heard mixed things about it, but if you're recommending it I may give it a go. I think the reception I might've seen may have been people expecting another Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and not being wowed after Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within. Here's hoping time has done it justice. ^^

15 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Have you played Inheritance? The child goes back to the house. I just started playing it tonight. It is freakin awesome so far! Got that excitement back! What is Rose Red? I see a movie, but not a game. 

Rose Red is just a movie. It has the same basic theme as the game. I have loved the movie for years, and now that there's a video game that is so similar, I had to have it.

56 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm not into horror games as such and I heard mixed things about it, but if you're recommending it I may give it a go. I think the reception I might've seen may have been people expecting another Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and not being wowed after Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within. Here's hoping time has done it justice. ^^

The fear factor isn't gonna stand up to some in the horror genre, but its surprising element that makes it unique is its plain craziness. It's a constant progression of a psychological breakdown. The game really is a treasure. And so far Inheritance has a wow factor too. I got the digital bundle for cheap a couple months ago. Not sure where the price is at now, but getting a disc is expensive from what I've seen. And there is an Oculus virtual reality version of Layers of Fear if you got one. 

50 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Rose Red is just a movie. It has the same basic theme as the game. I have loved the movie for years, and now that there's a video game that is so similar, I had to have it.

I'm gonna have to watch it!

A truly horrifying experience. Played alone, in the dark with a head set on, this game can bring about some extremely intense heart pounding moments. Layers of Fear doesn't just rely on jump scares, but manages to borough deep into your mind as you find out the tragedy that has befallen our protagonist and how he has reacted to it. As he desperately tries create his 'Magnum Opus', his sanity tearing away from him at every seam, you will find yourself drawn into his dark and twisted mind, wishing that he, and yourself, find a way back to normality.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:04 AM, Empire said:

A truly horrifying experience. Played alone, in the dark with a head set on, this game can bring about some extremely intense heart pounding moments. Layers of Fear doesn't just rely on jump scares, but manages to borough deep into your mind as you find out the tragedy that has befallen our protagonist and how he has reacted to it. As he desperately tries create his 'Magnum Opus', his sanity tearing away from him at every seam, you will find yourself drawn into his dark and twisted mind, wishing that he, and yourself, find a way back to normality.

You said that perfectly! I would have loved to experience that with a headset. Inheritance was also a creepy short game to go with it. Not many games have really reached into my mind the way this one has. Pretty amazing. 

11 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I remember Layers Of Fear - it wasn't as scary as say an Alien Isolation but some of those hallucinations are insane. I kept wondering if the character was on LSD or some kinda drug I didn't know about because what the hell are these hallucinations.

I know what you mean! LOL Just started the second one on a creepy ship. It must take someone MAD to make this stuff. 

If you really want to trip balls, wait for a night when it's storming like crazy. Turn off all the lights, and I mean everything. Then go to your room or somewhere else that will be getting no light except for the occasional lightning strike. Put in your earbuds, as they're typically more noise canceling than headphones, and play the game. No one else around. It may not sound like much to those that have never played a Layers Of Fear game, but those of us that have will know just how terrifying that can be. Especially to those with a fear of the unknown, the dark, or isolation. In all seriousness, after doing this you will literally never be the same again.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, The Blackangel said:

If you really want to trip balls, wait for a night when it's storming like crazy. Turn off all the lights, and I mean everything. Then go to your room or somewhere else that will be getting no light except for the occasional lightning strike. Put in your earbuds, as they're typically more noise canceling than headphones, and play the game. No one else around. It may not sound like much to those that have never played a Layers Of Fear game, but those of us that have will know just how terrifying that can be. Especially to those with a fear of the unknown, the dark, or isolation. In all seriousness, after doing this you will literally never be the same again.

I'll definitely have to give this idea a go when playing Layers Of Fear or any other horror games. Normally, I always have the lights off when gaming but I'll try to black out all lights in my gaming room and let's see what happens.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, The Blackangel said:

I might have to go back and try that in the dark and buy headphones. I never thought about using headphones before. 

Layers of Fear 2 I am really enjoying. It's trippy. It's very visually artistic as if each scene is a 3D painting with meaning. I'm very curious to find out what is going on. This series is going down as one of my favorites.