Register Now
StaceyPowers

Repetitious tasks tied to the main quests of video games

I have noticed many games have repetitious filler tasks that are linked to the main quest line, but which can often be avoided (i.e. to my knowledge, I do not need to close all the Oblivion gates in Oblivion, or all the rifts in DA: Inquisition—and I know I don’t need to kill every dragon that spawns in Skyrim). I find these elements rather tedious, and tend to feel they add little to their games—my thought when I run into them is usually, “another cockroach to squish, ugh.” How do you feel about them?

You're correct about not needing to close all the Oblivion gates in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, for the same reason one doesn't need to defeat every dragon they encounter in Skyrim: they respawn, and only a few are essential for the plot to move forward. However I'm generally fine with Oblivion gates because they're always out of the way and give you plenty of warning when you're about to approach encroaching enemies' line of sight with the sky reddening, and I've always been scared of that since I first played the game. Dragons on the other hand annoy me because they can appear out of nowhere when not in a main city, have frequently killed NPCs outdoors I was doing a quest for (granted they weren't main quest critical* but the point remains), and worst of all they piss off when they've had enough, keeping me in combat so I can't fast travel and get on with the good bits of the game.

What I don't like about either of these games though is that there's quests and crafting that need a renewable source of these items. Take for instance if you screw up at the Fighter's Guild and need Daedra Hearts. Without a guide you're lost if you've closed the jaws of Oblivion for good.

Other than that it's rarely a problem I encounter any more. I know which studios and publishers are likely to be the worst offenders for fluffing up the length of their game, and thus avoid. I can happily stomach a grind (see my World of Warcraft reputation FoS and weep as I do), i just prefer it to be more time consuming than difficult while listening to something in the background (currently The Vampire Diaries).

*I'm fine with this happening in Morrowind because of the prophetic nature of the story, that and I go into it with the mindset that RPGs were much different back then.

Edited by Withywarlock

Killing enemy gang members in RDR2 is tied to the story, but not required. Sure, you can loot the bodies and the camp they had set up, as there are usually only 4-6 of the idiots there. But it's no requirement. And you don't usually get anything that's of any real value. Maybe 50¢ per body. If you're lucky you'll get a decent watch or buckle that you can sell. You'll find some food, some liquor, and usually some ammunition. But it's almost not really worth the hassle unless they're in your way, you're trying to complete a challenge, or you just have a sudden bloodlust.

I agree with the dragons thing especially the fact that they're all so generic. Every other boss dragon outside of Alduin is extremely generic in terms of looks and abilities. I also agree with you about the Oblivion Gates in Oblivion, I did finish all of them but only because I wanted to see if I'd have gotten some kind of achievement which I didn't...so yeah...

2 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I agree with the dragons thing especially the fact that they're all so generic. Every other boss dragon outside of Alduin is extremely generic in terms of looks and abilities. I also agree with you about the Oblivion Gates in Oblivion, I did finish all of them but only because I wanted to see if I'd have gotten some kind of achievement which I didn't...so yeah...

Oblivion Gates in Oblivion is quite the catch for. I had to drag it out till the end for the playing sake experience purpose and nothing more.